SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bruce74_gw

Am I using my PPM meter right?

Bruce74
10 years ago

I know this must of been asked 1000 times on here, and I have read some of the posts, but I guess I get confused easy.

Here we go, my base water test out to 238ppm. When I first mix my nutrients they test out to 894ppm, after the first week they drop to 603ppm, now at 13 days they are at 523ppm. Now of course I do add fresh water about every other day, and my readings are always high before I add the fresh water. I take that to mean the plants used up the h2o, so the concentration of nutrients went up. I using the meter as a guide as to when to change the nutrients, and I'm guessing tomorrow is good.

I get confused when people start talking about changing TDS to PPM to ec and so on...I guess I don't understand why you would do that, I'm wondering if I need to do that, and just how it relates to everything...My meter say's it was calibrated to 342ppm with an NaCl solution...what does that mean? Is it like when you test your ph meter? or does it have something to do with a conversion table?

As you can see I'm lost to whole TDS meter thing, I have never used one before, but I also haven't grown hydroponically before. The plants look great, better then any I have grown outside in soil. I'm sold on the Dutch buckets, I just have a lot to learn...

I would appreciate any help, even a blunt kick in butt..lol

thank you and happy growing..
Bruce

Comments (6)