SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
captaincompostal

Homemade Chewing Tobacco Teas are Really Safe and Good!

captaincompostal
20 years ago

I just wanted to let everybody know the recent info that I got concerning how safe tobacco teas REALLY are.

Even though the press has beat up tobacco teas these past years, the teas actually have a lower toxicity rate than rotenone, and rotenone is still considered a good, legal, organic pest control!

Also the nicotine in natural chewing tobacco is NOT the same stuff as nicotine sulfate. Nicotine sulfate is illegal and extremely toxic and dangerous. One drop of this stuff on your skin will make you very sick. Nicotine sulfate is manufactured by combining nicotine from nature tobacco waste with sulfur. Homemade tobacco teas don't produce this substance.

I use this stuff ONLY on my most stubborn pests this year, the Japanese beetles, as a powerful contact, knock down, spray. Then the next day, I refueled my microbial populations on my affected plants and the soil, by using lots of aerated compost teas. I normally use a garlic, onion, hot pepper powder, canola oil, liquid soap tea on most of the pests in my garden.

Also I only brew about a 3 finger pinch of natural chewing tobacco per gallon of water for only 30-60 minutes. No more. Then I sprayed it on my plants. It's totally biodegradable. It's safe on bees and lady beetles. It breaks down fast.

Here is another recent discussion on the subject:

Chewing Tobacco Teas Are Organic

Happy Gardening!

Comments (41)