SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
flyingsteve

Hydroponic Hanging Watermelon

flyingsteve
12 years ago

Hello and thanks for taking the time to read my post and help with my question! I'm new to the forum and seeking advice on growing hanging watermelon hydroponically. I saw some pictures of hanging fruit and got pretty excited about it but I also want to do it in a hydro system and I'm not sure which approach would be best.

My thoughts were to use something like 6" PVC pipe as the cultivation container and run them around the top of the structure horizontally... So the roots wouldn't have much vertical space at all, but they would have tons of horizontal space to stretch out in. Think this would work, or simply not enough root space? My thoughts are to fill the PVC with hydroton or vermiculite or coco coir, and then do a flood/drain style system. I would bury 3-4 5ga buckets in the ground and then pump the nutrients up when needed. This way the nutrients would stay cool and keep the root zone cool.

Or because of space, would I be better off doing a circulating deep water culture system? I'm just not sure which system would work best in this situation or if the planting method using the 6" pvc pipe would even work for watermelons.

I would also like to do strawberries in the same way, just on a separate structure. The actual structure I want to build would be like the ones you see pictures of at Walt Disney World, (see picture here, http://forum.earthbox.com/index.php?topic=4383.0)

But on a much smaller scale, perhaps 8' long by only 4' wide... Then use the more shaded space below to plant crops that enjoy less sun.

Basically trying to avoid having the vines grow from ground level and up, rather have them start out at the top and grow horizontally across the structure to make a canopy across it and then hang the fruit out beneath.

Thanks in advance!

-Steve

Comments (8)