SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grow_n_gardn

Neighbooring rats

For about two months there has been what appears to be a rat or several rats surrounding us. One night I briefly saw one on a neighbor's tree. I saw one running quickly across our fence into a different neighbor's yard. And more recently I caught the view of the tail end of one, in the same neighbor's yard that has the tree with the animal I'd seen previously.

I would like to know if these animals might be being encouraged by our bird feeding and/or bird excrement. We provide bird food and water in our backyard and have been doing so for at least a year. The birds usually finish most of the food and water by the time night comes, so I am also wondering if the bird droppings could have something to do with this. There is a fence where the birds sometimes perch prior to eating and drinking and perhaps some of their excrement goes into the neighbor's side. The droppings that are on our side end up stuck to our wooden fence and don't appear to be on the ground so I presume that the other side of the fence could be the same as ours, but can't be sure, however, droppings that are not at ground-level, for an animal which I saw climbing a tree and fence might not be such a barrier for them anyway. The other droppings that might be present are ones on our side that the birds produce after spending time eating and drinking. And the birds sometimes perch on the neighbor's tree where they may be dropping waste. The tree is very close to that fence I've mentioned. I don't know whether any of these things is related to what attracts those animals, but thought I should mention it just in case. Also, myself and the neighbor's to the right and left of us have dogs and so I also wonder if their excrements could invite animals such as rats.

I let my dog out at night to do his business and he spends the majority of his time trying to chase what I suspect are those animals that he sees/smells on the other side of the fence (the fence which has some droppings on it-our side). Looking through the neighbor's fence is not easy, but there appears to be a plant right next to the fence where the rats might be staying or have stayed. The thing that suggests that those rats are there or frequent that area is that my dog becomes hyperactive when he's next to the fence at night. He sniffs the area and goes back and forth and even tries jumping over the fence, but he can't since he is not very big.

I'm not sure what to make of this situation. The rats aren't living in our yard, but if they are staying in someone else's yard whether or not we are contributing to it, it would seem to me that it might need to be addressed. Since I've never had this sort of experience before I'm curious at to whether rats stick around for extended periods of times or might they depart soon? Any experiences or information you can share would be appreciated. Thank you.

Comments (13)