SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jeepidiot

Question on source water

17 years ago

First time poster, short time reader. Hi!

Just starting off on hydroponics and growing hot peppers so it's still a learning experience for me. You'll have to excuse my ignorance. I also want to apologize in advance for the fact that many of my posts might appear rather wordy. It's a problem I have. I want to be as descriptive as possible but I haven't managed to be concise and descriptive at the same time.

On with the question. I'll need to include some background. I currently have a 55gal freshwater planted aquarium. Not wanting to have to tote 5gal jugs back and forth for water changes, I put a 65gal storage tank next to the aquarium for water changes. This allows me to pre-treat the change water, get all the parameters just right and then all I have to do is pump the water from the storage tank into the aquarium and I'm done. I've decided that I could also use this storage tank for my hydroponics refills also. I'm just not sure if the pre-treatment I do for my aquarium is harmful to the hydroponics.

For my planted aquarium, the water needs to meet certain requirements. 2 of them deal with Alkalinity(KH) and General Hardness(GH). The KH and GH for my planted aquarium should ideally be between 7-8 for both KH and GH. EC is not something I'm concerned about as far as the aquarium goes but it naturally changes when I make changes to the KH and GH of the refill water.

Out of the tap, my water has a KH and GH of less than 1(this is considered very soft water with very little buffering capacity. I've tested the EC and it is ~130(this is in microsiemens with equates to something like .13 milisiemens I belive.). In order to raise the alkalinity(KH) of my water, I use baking soda(sodium bicarbonate) to raise it to between 7 or 8. This raise my EC reading to ~420. In order to raise the GH of the water, I use an aquarium product produced by Seachem called Equilibrium. The EC after using the baking soda and Equilibrium is ~720. The components of Equilibrium are as follows:

Soluble Potash(K20) - 23%

Calcium(Ca) - 8.06%

Magnesium(Mg) - 2.41%

Soluble Iron(Fe) - .11%

Soluble Manganese(Mn) - .06%

Derived from: potassium sulfate, calcium sulfate, manganese sulfate, ferric sulfate, magnesium sulfate.

Seachem of course lists Equilibrium as being for aquarium use only.

I currently just have seedling for my hydroponics and I'm using General Hydroponics MaxiGrow nutrient. It says for seedling to use 1/4 tsp for each gallon. Using this amount, the EC of the water goes to ~1200 if I'm using the pre-treated aquarium refill water. I also use Phosphoric Acid to lower the pH of the water to ~6.0.

I'm just wondering if using this pre-treated water is going to be harmful. The Equilibrium adds what I believe to be useful nutrients to the water but I could be wrong. For the most part the peppers appear to be doing okay although the Scotch Bonnet does look a little funny(older leaves are curling upward and look splotchy). The Jamaican Hot Chocolate on the other hand looks great.

I could try to just use the water from the storage tank before it was treated, but I believe that would become difficult once the peppers started growing really well and the need for constant topping off or more frequent nutrient changes started up.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor