SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ranchreno_gw

Can a 'brown thumb' gardener grow hydrangea in Chicago?

ranchreno
15 years ago

My landscape guy wants to use hydrangea in some foundation planting we're doing along the north side of our house. The area gets a couple of hours of morning sun, then is shaded by the house from about 11:30 am on.

He is recommending a tardivar or unique hydrangea in between some boxwoods and hostas in a space about 3-4' wide and max height of about 5'. Then 2 ES hydrangea in another area with about 6' width and unlimited height restrictions.

I hesitate to even post because as much as I appreciate all of the amazingly beautiful gardens here, I work too many hours, travel too much, have kids to deal with and honestly, just wasn't born with that gardening gene. So I always look for the LOWEST maintenance plants out there. I know I won't do justice to a plant that requires lots of pruning, playing with the soil, winterizing, and other attention beyond watering.

I've also read quite a bit on the forum here about the tardiva/unique varietals being very late bloomers and I don't really want to look at sticks until June in between my otherwise green foundation. Other concerns are that the tardiva/unique won't get enough sun, and won't like being kept in so tight a spot.

I have less concerns about ES, although I've seen lots of comments on it dying back over winter, not blooming every year, etc.

Any thoughts? Can a non-gardener handle hydrangea? And if these aren't the right types, please chime in with that information as well. As you can tell, I am beyond novice.

Thanks!!

Comments (5)