SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jackz411

What to look for when buying Endless Summer?

jackz411
17 years ago

Stopped by a nursery about 1 hour drive from me. I noticed they had some ES, 3 year in large 3 gallon buckets,$39.95. This May has been about the rainiest and coolest on record. In their wet pots green growth was just beginning to peek out from the 2 foot high woody canes. What caught my attention was that some had some very serious wood at the base 1-2 inches in diameter each. Looked like real strong stuff and that these plants were slowly coming back to life. Any one else would look at them and think they were a half dead plant of some sort.

Talked to the guy who ran the place and he and no one there knows much about them or hydrangeas in general. They had been stored in NJ and had just come up last week. He agreed they looked like a terrible plant compared to everything else they had.

I have a feeling that all the best looking ones need is some TLC and sun and warmer weather and that they will soon explode in growth. I think they are just coming out of dormancy now which is why they look so very dead.

What should I be looking for in buying any of these? I see good healthy hard wood with green just emerging. Some canes are longer than others and they have definitely been pruned back last year. Some canes are 2 feet, some are 10 inches. The new green shoots and growth are unblemished but just emerging from winter. Is there something I am missing? Do these seem good to go? I did use the "discount" word and he agreed.

Compared to all the other types of green and flowering plants there...these ES just look half-dead. I think some are Ok and its all a dormancy, storage thing and these are just getting a late start. Whattcha 'tink?

Comments (6)