SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ironbelly1

Who is having a garden walk?

ironbelly1
19 years ago

The month of June is usually the time for garden walks. Many communities have them and they offer some of the best opportunities to learn about plants, landscape design and gardening in general. Of course, the pure enjoyment of viewing wonderful gardens is perhaps the best part. My wife and I like to take in as many as we can and don't mind traveling a bit from our home in Walcott.

Although we have gone on many walks throughout the midwest, our favorite remains the event put on by the folks in the small town of Lowden, Iowa. (On US Hwy. 30 about halfway between Clinton and Cedar Rapids) This is friendly, small town living at its best. With the culmination of the event capped off by a butterfly pork chop picnic in the park -- included in the $10 ticket price -- what a deal!

Also included in the $10 ticket are two gardening lectures (in air conditioned rooms). Ken Lafferty, Linn County Master Gardener and WMT radio garden expert will be presenting the first speaking session at 10am. I am honored to be asked to present the second session at 11am on "A Different Approach To Landscape Design".

Saturday, June 26th -- 9am to 4pm -- Tickets available that morning at city hall. (Trust me -- Lowden is small enough you will be able to find city hall.)

I hope to meet many of you there. :-)

Also, Muscatine is having a garden tour on Saturday, June 19, 2004, (10am to 5pm) titled "Garden Moments". Advance tickets are $13 or 2/$25 or $15 at the door. They list three phone numbers for more information: (563)263-0959, 263-8282, 263-5701

OK. Post all the other wonderful events around the state.

IronBelly

Here is a link that might be useful: Map to Lowden

Comments (17)

Sponsored