SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
my_secret_garden

New Here and... Weeds, weeds everywhere.

my_secret_garden
18 years ago

Hi all. I am new to this website and this forum. My name is Manda and I am 24 and I live in Eastern Iowa. I have always been interested in gardening but never did much more than help my mom plant veggies and a couple of rose bushes.... but now I own my own home and I am faced with a large task.

My husband owned this home before we met and he didn't do much more to take care of the lawn and yard than mow and occasionally trim the rose bush in front. I have finally coerced him into realizing that we need to take better care of our yard and that he needs to help me make things prettier! So, to say the least, my yard has been in utter disrepair for a long time but it is slowly getting better.

I've spent the last couple of weeks cleaning up junk (car parts, bike parts, misc clutter) and getting dead leaves and other various yard waste off of our desk and now I am into the "good stuff". I have been having a really hard time getting rid of weeds and crabgrass, clovers, and creeping charley out of my yard. I tried chemicals like Round-up to get rid of them but that didn't help. I could really use some advice on getting rid of these things. I do have a dog that is out in the yard a lot so I don't want to expose him to anything harmful... and a lot of the weeds are near my flowers in the front yard.

I guess I am kind of overwhelmed by the amount of work that is in front of me. Aside from doing more clean-up and landscaping work with timbers, rocks, lights, bricks, etc, I also want to plant flowers. I am thinking about planting moonflowers and morning glories along my privacy fence. Does this seem like a good idea? I have a privacy fence on two sides of my yard. Should I try to do it on both sides?

Any advice and maybe just a "you can do it" would be so helpful. Heh. Thanks for reading my story/plea. Hope eveyrone is enjoying the beautiful weather!

Manda

Comments (7)

Sponsored