SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mehearty

ES made my jaw drop once again

mehearty
16 years ago

Happy spring! =)

Up here in the north east, the snow has JUST melted. Earlier this week, I was raking out the bed in which ES is planted, and there was still snow covering ES. We had amazing snow cover this year starting around Thanksgiving. As I was working in that bed the snow was melting, and as the snow slowly started to recede from ES, I saw GREEN! =-O Under the snow!! That ES has green leaves starting to form at her TIPS! =-O Look at my zone! That shouldn't even happen. I'm THRILLED. The Nikkos are starting to wake up, but the green is starting in the bottom, not the tips like ES.

ES is in a spot she clearly loves. Unfortunately, being used to Nikkos, I never thought a hydrangea would have the kind of growth she had last year, so she's planted too close to the foundation. We're going to have to do a major project now where we dig out a shrub from another bed, put ES in there and move a Nikko into ES's spot. Hubby, not wanting to dig these holes, suggested just keeping the back of ES pruned away from the foundation. I'll admit that's tempting me since I'm no longer into digging large holes, and since ES is obviously happy where she is.

I never got a chance to do any winter protection, but the snow flattened ES out as though we had done it on purpose. We had such great snow cover this year that we barely lost much on our roses. I wish we could have snow like that ever winter or at least be able to "fake it" with just the right winter protection.

Happy spring everyone! I hope you find some miracles in your gardens, too.

Comment (1)