SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
growinidaho

New to you and new to gardening:)

growinidaho
14 years ago

Hi all! I am happy to join you today! Sorry for the long post!!! I hope you are ready for lots of newbie questions. I planted my first garden this year from scratch...weed sod to clods to rows to spacing to planting to watering to mulching and to starting my trash can compost bin (started today)in addition to a huge pile that will take forever...etc. Whew! This year is trial and error with lots of learning and aching female muscles)

My first question is: Am I in zone 6? I live 1 hour north of Boise and our last frost is a week or 2 after Boise's. Our 1st planting day is June 1st. I was able to start planting the week of May 25.

My next ? is: do I really have to thin the snow peas? The ones that are close are in an 8' single row and about 5" tall. My 3rd ? is my pole beans. They are in a single row of 21' and are 3-5" apart. Do I need to thin them or some of them?

Here is what I planted (4th ? is what else should I mulch?)

basil

beets (mulched today)

broccoli

cabbage

cantaloupe

carrots (long and short)

corn (4 rows)

cucumbers (they all died so I replanted them and I have lots in the compost pile by surprise too!) (mulched today)

garlic (mulched today)

green beans

jalapenos

leaf lettuce (mesclun mix, simpson, and assorted)

marigolds

green onions, lisbon scallions, walla wallas

oregano (not growing)

peas (mulched today)

bell peppers

potatoes(red)in tires, bags and hill of dirt

spinach

sunflowers (replanted b/c the neighbors spray killed them)

13 tomato plants (poor things, they had a rough start)(mulched today)

wildflowers

zucchini (almost lost them from the spray but they are looking good now, plus I replanted some)(1 stem is split but the plant is doing great)

My last ? for today is which of those I listed above can I plant for a fall crop and when should I start them? I want to try lettuce, carrots, onions and spinach with some leftover seeds I saved and whatever else I can.

I am sure some things wont grow much but I had to plant them when I did and I don't know what things look like or how to tend them. We had toms, peas, cukes, zukes and carrots before but the garden didn't yield much.

Thanks to all of your replies...now and in the future!!!

growinidaho

Comments (7)

Sponsored