SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
berrytea4me

Season over, which results are you most anxious to see?

berrytea4me
15 years ago

Hi All,

Everyone here is working with such different plants. I really enjoyed reading the "what are you hybridizing" threads.

I'm collecting the last of my seeds. We are expecting hard frost possibly as soon as tomorrow night.

Now that the growing season is about finished how did it go for you? What results are you most excited about seeing?

This is my first year hybridizing. I crossed bearded iris, asiatic lilies and daylilies.

With the asiatics I have only a few to work with. All but 2 are NOIDs. I'm just excited to see if I can germinate any seedlings & then I'll go from there. I'm not even exactly sure which are viable seeds.

With iris, I have a few newer cultivars but mostly NOID historics. I'm excited to see if any interesting recessive traits come out by crossing the historics with moderns. I have ~600 seed collected, soaked, and now in cold striation. This is my first time starting them from seed so I'm excited to see if I can do that right. I'll have a lot more named varieties, both hisoric & newer, blooming to play with next year.

With daylilies I have again ~ 600 seed collected. Nearly every parent plant was new to my garden so the crosses I had planned did not all work out because they bloomed at different times & I did not have stored pollen. I froze lots of pollen this year and made mostly spur of the moment crosses. A couple that I really wanted to cross did not cooperate with direct crosses but did both work with another cultivar so I'll be looking forward to F2 to get those genes together. I have a few loosely set goals for daylilies: very tall, browns, and red throat.

Last year I started with purchased daylily seeds. I hope to see those seedlings bloom first time next season.

Comments (17)