SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aveo5

The 'Chimera' Effect ,And No Growth Whats up?

aveo5
12 years ago

Hi. I have a question about my "H.Pubicalyx 'Philippine Black Chimera' Red Buttons". I got it in July, and along with like 8 other hoyas. The Chimera one has put out a new vine, that is maroon and green. It started out green, boring,...then it started to grow maroon! The vine and the leaves. The first leaf was green around the sides with a red streak in the middle. Then the next 3 leafs are all maroon along with the stem.

Is this the 'chimera' gene in the plant? IF this stem/vine ever blooms, will it give me the VERY dark red blooms that i am hoping for,...while the green vines will produce a lighter red? The 'regular' red Buttons color? Isn't it a deep red anyway?

But will the maroon continue on that vine,or will it 'turn on and off'? become green on some leaves, and maroon on some? Or will this vine continue to grow maroon, almost black, and give me super deep red blooms? Or is this chimera the unstable part of this plants genes, and it might revert back to green whenever it feels like it?

This new maroon vine is the only new growth on this hoya since I got it,and it just came out last week. But its healthy, BUT for some reason only 3 of my new hoyas have grown at all since June/July. This chimera, and my Cilata is growing so fast, and my H.Archboldiana has put out a vine over 5 feet long so far.

But 4 other hoyas,rather common ones, easy to grow, havent grown an inch,and I know how to grow hoyas basically, yet all my 'old ones' are growing and blooming as usual. It is like these new ones are asleep. Except for the 3 I mentioned, nothing has grown a single leaf, and 2 plants died. I lost a lot of money on those 2.

So...any opinions about this 'Chimera effect', and why are about half of my new hoyas not growing at all? While these 3 'hard to grow ones', at least the Cilata I was told is hard to grow, are growing fast.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz