SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dan1465_z7nj

Help my identify these Hostas please? LONG

dan1465_z7nj
15 years ago

I'm having trouble identifying several of my Hostas. Between moving to another property, giving some away and loosing some to poor locations in my new Garden I'm having a hard time figuring them out. I have my master list of Hosta's I had but, I've lost many so I don't have them all now. This list has helped but, I'm still at a lose here.

Can you folks help me out? Below are a several pictures of the Hostas I have not yet identified followed by my master List of names. A couple are duplicate shots of the same Hostas and one Hosta,the biggest was in my yard before I purchased the property. Therefore the big one might not be on my list.

I'm not expecting miracles here but, do these plants look familiar?

Montana Aureo Marginata

Ventricosa

Krossal Regal

Blue Cadet

Serendipity

Frances Williams

Twighlight

Love Pat

Venusta

Gold Drop

Saishu Jima

Subcrocea

Patriot

Golden Tiara

Gold Edger

Yellow Boa

Hadspen Blue

Sieboldiana Elgans

Sague

Francee

Sun Power

Gold Standard

Chinese Sunrise

Sum and Substance

Royal Standard

Chartrease Wiggles

Fortunei 'Auru Marginata'

Big Daddy

Blue Angel

Honey Bells

Lancifolia

Blue Wedgewood

Devon Green

June

Willy Nilly

Tokudama Aureonebulosa

Spritzer

Geisha

Wide Brim

Samurai

Halcyon 15"x24"

Guacamole 18"x24"

Fried Banana 18"x30"

Spilt Milk 20"x40"

Great Expectations h20"x s30"

Pauls Glory

undulata erromena

Little Sunspot

Dew Drop h2" tiny

Kabitan

Ground Sulpher

Thumb Nail

Vera verde

Twister

Golden Scepter

Stiletto

Lemon Lime

Green Kabitan

Pixie Power

Hyacinthina

Wogon

Alba-picta

Thanks in advance for any help you can throw my way. Dan

Comments (16)

• sally_grower
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

#2 may be Blue Cadet
    #6 is Ventricosa
    #7 is Golden Tiara
    #13 is Lemon Lime
    Not much help, I'm sure there will be lots of other help. Good Luck
    Sally

• silly_me
    15 years ago

4, 16 and 17: lancifolia
    7: gold tiara
    13 lemon lime

• silly_me
    15 years ago

14 & 15: probably halcyon

none of them are frances williams, patriot, dew drop, francee, june, tokudama aureonebulosa, or stiletto (if that helps.)

• sumangel
    15 years ago

I certain #2 IS Blue Cadet. #6 looks like Guacamole, #9 lancifolia and #10 is Sum and Substance

• dan1465_z7nj
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sally, Silly me and Sumangel, Thank you verrrry much for the help. I'm getting there. I just went through every name in the Hosta Library but, I'm still at a lose. So far I've concluded this.

2. Blue Cadet
    4.Lancifolia
    6. Venticosa
    7. Golden Tiara
    8. ??? Might have RMV? I never use to clean my Pruners
    10. Lancifolia
    11. Sum and Substance or fried bananas?
    13. Lemon Lime
    14. Halcyon
    15. Halcyon
    16. Lancifolia
    17.Lancifolia
    18. Guacamole???

Anyone else have any ideas? Thanks again. Dan

• Jennifer Schwarz
    14 years ago

I think 18 is probably either Pauls Glory or Gold Standard. And 1 looks like it might be a very young Montana Aureo Marginata. 9 possibly Serendipty and 12 Venusta. I think you will have a lot more luck identifying these as they mature.

• dan1465_z7nj
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow Zafo, I'm certain your right, 1. and 5. are both Montana Aureo Marginata's.

#18 does look like both Gold Standard and Pauls Glory. As I'm looking at the leaves closely it appears to me that the blue on the outside edge of the leaves stays on the outside edge only with Gold Standard. With Pauls Glory, the blue is also on the outside edge BUT, also kind mixes in more toward the center of the leave. It's seems to have a less defined blue edge. So, I think it's Pauls Glory. This Hosta gets VERY LITTLE light so the gold coloration really does not show up where I have it planted.

#12, thats it, I do believe it is Venusta. So is #3. I split it a couple times. Believe me, I checked Venusta's picture against mine 2 other times but, for some reason refused to see it as so. I don't know why I missed this. Great, thats got to be it.

#9, has got to be the same as #2. I just went out and looked, I can't tell them apart. So it must be Blue Cadet.

Believe it or not, most of these are 5 years mature barring a move from one spot to another. Several are in locations where they get much too little sun and barely enough water.

Well, I'm making progress. Heres what I have.

1 Montana Aureo Marginata
    2. Blue Cadet
    3. Venusta
    4.Lancifolia
    5. Montana Aureo Marginata
    6. Venticosa
    7. Golden Tiara
    9. Blue Cadet
    10. Lancifolia
    11. Sum and Substance or fried bananas?
    12. Venusta
    13. Lemon Lime
    14. Halcyon
    15. Halcyon
    16. Lancifolia
    17.Lancifolia
    18. Paul's Glory

That #8 is still a mystery. I do think it might have HVX. It does get enough sun and water. I'll have to go out and take a better picture soon.

Thank you VERY much for the help. I can't believe I couldn't see some of them for what they are when looking in the Hosta Library. Those extra sets of eyes were GREAT. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.

Any ideas for number 8.? Dan

• Jennifer Schwarz
    14 years ago

Does number 8 have a green center? One leaf looks like it from the picture but I can't tell for sure. Could you possibly take another picture or wait maybe a week or two for it to color up a little more. We might be able to help identify it a little better.

• dan1465_z7nj
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, it appears the more mature leaves do have a green center. I just went out and took a few more pictures. Here are the best 2 pictures. I'm not sure if even these pictures will help. This plant just doesn't look like it should no matter which variety it is. It's planted in a good location with several hours of sun and plenty of water. Any ideas? Thanks, Dan

• Jennifer Schwarz
    14 years ago

Wow, well it definitely looks like it is either sporting or reverting which makes it tough to know which one to look for on your list. We could either be looking for a blue green center with a gold edge or an all gold. Do you happen to remember how old this one is. I would wait a little longer and see what you have once it completely unfurls and if the edge remains gold. At least you can rule out the ones that are not variegated or all gold which will make your list a lot shorter. I think I have narrowed it down to Frances Williams, Fortunei Aureomarginata, Wide Brim or Samurai. If it is indeed a bluish center and not green than you can narrow it further to Frances Williams and Samurai.

• dan1465_z7nj
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It's 5 years old but, it was moved here 3 years ago. It had been planted in an area with VERY limited sun and was shrinking, so I moved it to it's good location 3 years ago. Thats what is bothering me. It should be bigger and healther by now. I also fertilize each spring.

Anyhow, I'll do just that, I'll wait a little longer till it totally opens and then take another picture. I'm on a mission now.

Thank you VERY MUCH for all the help. Do any of you folks do plant exchange? I can hook you up. Dan

• ctopher_mi
    14 years ago

#6 is not Ventricosa. It is Royal Standard.

• dan1465_z7nj
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ctopher,
    I do believe your correct, it is Royal Standard. I'm so glad your keen eye caught this. Thank you very much for pointing this out. Dan

• dbowemd
    14 years ago

I'm pretty sure #11 is Fried Bananas, not Sum and Substance. It's shiny already, and has deep veins and round raised areas between the veins. If it has fragrant white flowers like Guacamole you have it.
    Number #8 will be either Frances Williams or Samurai, which I can't tell apart. They both get spring dessication burn that will look like what you are calling a virus. The yellow sport will be close to Golden Sunburst.

I agree with Chris about Royal Standard.
    Thumb Nail Or Suzuki Thumbnail I think will look exactly like Venusta, so I can't tell them apart. I guess they are supposed to be smaller than Venusta.

Dave

• maryann_____chgo
    14 years ago

The smallest hosta ever, must be Saishu Jima. It's unique and easily identifiable. At a gathering of 100 hosta collectors, a show of hands indicated no one successfully grew it for more than 2 years.

• dan1465_z7nj
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Dbowemd,
    This just occured to me. When I planted all these Hostas, I still knew what they were. By sight too. I knew Sum and Substance was huge. You can't tell by the picture but, this #11 Fried Bananas was planted too close to my other Hostas and the border to have been Sum and Substance. I never would have planted Sum and Substance in the spot. It's funny, I was just out there today and was wondering if I might have to move this Hosta in the future due to size. I don't, because it's got to be Fried Bananas like you said, which is smaller than Sum and substance. Great. Another mystery solved. #11 is Fried Bananas.

So for now, #8 is either Frances Williams or Samuri. That works for me.

I guess I'll just stick with Venusta for #3 and #12. Close enough.

You've been a huge help, thank you VERY much.

Maryann____chgo,
    Thanks, if they can't grow it, I'm sure mine is long gone. Saishu Jima is scratched.

Anyhow, thank you folks for the much needed help. I have drawn pictures of my Hostas in their current layout in my Garden. I've filed it away in my personal Garden Book. I'M NOT LOSING THEIR NAMES EVER AGAIN. Dan

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz