SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ellen_inmo

Companies selling hybid seeds......

ellen_inmo
19 years ago

Fist off I must compliment everyone here for their knowledge of hybridizing, very impressive!

My question is something very basic, probably has been asked before (although I could not find it on a search) so it should be easy to answer.

Okay, I understand the concept of hybridizing: different mommy, different daddy, produces a baby that is part mommy, part daddy (but not "half" mommy and daddy). I understand that collecting seed from the baby plant will not be true to the baby plant and will have characteristics of mommy and daddy, or one or the other, etc. So therefore, collecting seeds from hybrid plants is not recommended if you want plants to be true.

When a hybrid is produced, the seeds are useless. How then, do companies sell seeds of plants that are considered hybrids? Where does the seed come from?

My question then is, how do they reproduce the same hybrid plants? Surely they do not continually cross pollinate to produce these seeds, and then sell them to seed distributors. Wouldnt that allow too many errors in the seed they produce? I mean, is cross pollinating sophisticated enough that they know exactly how much of "this and that" from male and female plants to mass produce seeds?

I hope I am explaining myself good enough here.

I appreciate your responses! Obviously I know nothing about this, I am honestly just curious about this when I see "hybrid" listed on seed descriptions.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!