SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bkay2000

Streaked hosta question

bkay2000
12 years ago

What's the deal with the streaked hosta? Is there some premium or something involved with streaked hosta? It seems like everyone is really working on streaked seedlings. Do they expect to come up with multiple, streaked, marketable hosta (that you can tell from other streaked hosta)? Is the expectation that they will be particularly valuable? Is it just a challenge? If so, what's a definition of success?

I was at Lowe's today and they had something marked as albomarginata that had three eyes, and two were streaked. Should I have bought it and sent it to one of you guys?

bkay

Comments (23)

• in ny zone5
    12 years ago

I still have too many albomarginatas, just threw 3 big plants out. And here is my very personal opinion, I do not want to offend anyone. I do not like streaked leaves, they are confusing, have no distinct design to me. I would not have bought that plant, but that's me. I would be more interested in a piecrust and corrugated green, blue or yellow leaf, especially on a large plant.
    Bernd

• Steve Massachusetts
    12 years ago

Bernd,

I used to think that also, but I have seen pictures of some that are stunningly beautiful. These are streakers with uniform coloring in the streaks that go from leaf base to tip with very distinct and verybeautiful design. The problem, of course, is to be able to produce that in a plant that is stable. That has yet to be done, as far as I know.

But more to bkay's question, the reason streakers are valuable is that they are used for breeding. In order to increase the odds of getting variegated foliage in projeny, a streaked plant must be either the pod or pollen parent. So hybridizers try to get their hands on many different streaked breeders in order to get the genetic material they need to make new hostas.

Below is a pic of H. 'Brant Rock Jetty' from the library. This hosta was hybridized by Rick Goodenough in Marshfield, MA and is way way out of my price range. You can see this hosta in person as Rick's garden is on one of the tours at this year's convention in June.

• Gesila
    12 years ago

I spent 20 minutes looking at a Savannah Supreme today. It had about 9 or 10 eyes -- really large. Good price - $19.00. I left it there and got Midwest Magic ($10) and Regal Splendor ($9), both also very large with 10 or more eyes.

I don't know if that was a good decision or not. I can always go back and get one, they had several. I haven't exhausted my hosta budget, yet.

• thisismelissa
    12 years ago

I recall over-hearing at the national convention that the registrar was no long accepting registrations for streaked hostas as given time most streakers end up stabilizing to a marginned hosta.

I have a few streakers... or at least USED-TO-BE streakers in my garden.

• thisismelissa
    12 years ago

I meant to say "stabilizing to a marginned hosta or a solid hosta"

• coll_123
    12 years ago

I'm not really a big fan on streaked ones, either, but they have grown on me a little in the last year or so. Not enough to buy one, but they don't entirely look like houseplants to me anymore. (steve's pic above is lovely, for example) But if it's true that they eventually will lose their streakiness and stablize into a conventional hosta, I don't understand why anyone would want to pay big bucks for them.

I also don't like really ruffly daylilies or especially the doubles! Double daylilies look like one ate another one to me, ruining the symmetry of the flower. I guess I just like a cleaner, less "busy" look in general when it comes to plants. To each their own, though.

• hosta_freak
    12 years ago

I only have one streaker;Korean Snow,and it is pretty stable,having never stabilized to a margin variegation. It's probably one of the very few that is stable. Some of her seedlings are streaked,but I have one that is greenish gold,but looks nothing like the mother plant;very puckery. Phil

• dansgrdn
    12 years ago

I have a few named streakers but most of mine are seedlings of my own. I think the main reason to buy a streaked breader is so you can create new variegated seedlings. It's fun having hostas unique to your own garden popping up in the Spring. For me,the challenge is getting seedlings with uniform streaking, nice color, and substance. I'm hybidizing more and more for solids, but I think the streakers are the most fun, especially early on. I understand it's an aquired taste, but I like them :) Just took this pic of today's favorite in the garden

Dan

• bkay2000
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, there are definitely some pretty ones.

Thanks,

bkay

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    12 years ago

Ain't no doubt streaked Hostas initially are an acquired taste. That is until you realize their potential value in creating new cultivars, mostly when used as breeder stock in hybridizing.

I have 2 streakers myself, both obtained as trades. 'Ice Age Trail' has been here since 2007 and is finally starting to fill out. I hope to use it this year as both a pollen and a pod parent. My other streaker is 'Ray of Hope' and it has been quite unstable, giving me a couple of edge variegated shoots which would be 'Rollercoaster Ride'. Unfortunately it has a reputation for not being too fertile but I do love its flowers, very spidery, almost Nerine like in appearance. I love it for its unpredictability and its flowers, it has become a favourite in my garden.

Pieter

• hosta_freak
    12 years ago

Pieter,I actually have a Roller Coaster Ride,and some of its leaves are streaked like Ray Of Hope. Too far into the clump,which is beautiful this year,to separate,but that's one reversion,I wouldn't mind having! Phil

• gayle0000
    12 years ago

I must say I appreciate this discussion. I've never seen the magic or beauty in streakers, but I now understand for breeders why they would be paying attention to the details.

Dan's pic above has caught my attention.
    Gayle

• dansgrdn
    12 years ago

One more seedling pic from today. Even if you don't like the streaking, you might like the shape.

Dan

• nutmeg4061
    12 years ago

Gunther's Prize is the one I've always imagined having the room for, and being able to afford, lol.
    Can you imagine seeing this giant in your garden?

"Spectacular streaked and mottled sport of H. 'Sum and Substance'."

Here is a link that might be useful: Gunthers Prize

• in ny zone5
    12 years ago

I must say, I bought a Spilt Milk, which has some streaks, and Steve's reference of the puckered up streaker 'Brant Rock Jetty' I like a lot. Thanks!
    Bernd

• ademink
    12 years ago

Gunther's Prize (1 of 3...this one has stayed the streakiest)

Ice Age

Stargate (streaked Jade Cascade...I'm frothing waiting for it to mature lol)

Dorothy Benedict (OS from Herb Benedict)

Marbled Cream

Lakeside Mom #1

Lakeside Mom #2

Kisuji

Gunther's Prize trio

Foxfire Bamm Bamm

I have other's but those are all I cared to hunt down in the rain. :)

andrea

• hosta_freak
    12 years ago

Really nice plants,Andrea! You have more streakers than I have ever even seen! Most nurseries don't even carry them,and I refuse to order online. I still like to see the plants I buy. Phil

• ademink
    12 years ago

Thanks Phil! I only ordered from really reputable sources. Naylor and Foxfire sell some sweet hostas - always pleased w/ what I received.

If you've never ordered online from Hallson's, you are truly missing out. Some of the best hostas I've received are from them!!! HUGE w/ giant roots...incredible!

Then there is Bob Kuk's stuff...that guy is a legend, love his stuff....and Olga...oh wait, what was I saying? LOL

The DB was a gift from someone who got it directly from Herb Benedict...he literally dug it out of his yard for him. That's pretty good stuff. :)

• woodnative
    12 years ago

Great pics!! To emphasize what was stated above, the value of the streakers is they will produce a percentage of streaked and variegated seedlings. However, the streaker MUST BE the pod/seed parent. Variegation/streaking is not passed on in the pollen.

• nutmeg4061
    12 years ago

ademink, yowsa!
    STUNNING collection. That Stargate is wonderful!
    Of course, the triple planting of Gunther has me panting, lol!
    Thank you for posting!

• ademink
    12 years ago

Yes, i can't WAAAAAAAAIT for stargate to get big!!! jade cascade is my all-time favorite hosta so this one will knock my socks off, i hope! :)

Thanks for the kudos! :)

andrea

• allnitro
    12 years ago

'Stargate' is a sport from 'Flower Power' not 'Jade Cascade'

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor