SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
athrael

Desperately Saving Hydrangea

athrael
15 years ago

So I was walking home from the shops when I pass by this house with this friendly old little lady who was gardening and asked me if I wanted her Hydrangeas. I of course said yes, thinking cool! More pretty plants.

Alas, much to my horror, her 5 year old hydrangeas were planted in the ground and she uprooted one last week and one an hour before I walked by.

So there I was juggling my shopping and two, four feet hydrangeas. The one that has been uprooted for a week feels dry but the stems are a dark moss green and the flowers have not even bloomed properly yet!

The one uprooted an hour and a half ago has started going limp with a huge bloom and its white! I have placed both in pots with potting mix and I gave it a REALLY good drench. Its 35 degrees outside right now.

My question are, is my rescue attempt futile? Should I just prune it down really hard or get cuttings out the plant? If its worth saving , how long would it take before the plant/plants look like they will survive the ordeal? And do you know what kind of Hydrangeas these are? I have four others but their leaves look a little rounder and smaller than these ones. And the stems on these ones are thick and not thin like my other Hydrangeas ...

Don't fall off your seats looking at the pictures. Any help will be much appreciated :)

the one uprooted last week .....

{{gwi:994464}}
By athrael

look at the pretty little buds! :(

{{gwi:994466}}
By athrael

white blooms on the 'healthier' one

{{gwi:994468}}
By athrael

the 'healthier' plant

{{gwi:994470}}
By athrael