SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Help choose hosta for chartruese/purple/ rust color scheme

I'm planning a major nursery trip in about a week. I need some suggestions to make a list. This nursery has a good selection, but I assume not the newest or strangest.

I have a dappled shade bed that I call, "anything but plain green". I have about 8 kinds of non-green heuchera (Caramel, Key Lime Pie, Mocha Mint etc), purple leaved cimicifuga, silvery japanese ferns, etc.

I have 1 Paul's Glory and an Inniswood there now. In front of the Paul's Glory is a dark black-purple heuchera called Licorice. The chartreuse leaf effect of Paul's Glory works very well with the dark heuchera: I'd like to expand and exploit that color combination.

I am looking for small hostas to complement the PG and purple; especially something that has the reverse color pattern to PG: dark center, light edge. I love blue-leaved hostas but don't think they will work with these colors.

Let's see what you hostaholics can come up with! If this combination of characteristics isn't impossible...

I'd like:

Small/short and neat

No part in plain medium green: yellow green, blue-green, yes.

No skinny leaves.

Love puckered leaves, but not essential.

Besides the hosta, any good non-green ferns to recommend? I'm thinking autumn fern but have not really seen one yet. Also astilbe if foliage is dark/reddish.

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County