SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
klyde_gw

Hoya rubra?

klyde
13 years ago

Hi everyone:

Haven't posted in a long time - hope you and your plants are all well.

Little story: went into our local Safeway and just about keeled over in excitement. They were selling Exotic Angel hoyas! Now I know for my American hoya brothers and sisters this is no big deal, but for me up here in Victoria Canada it was plenty exciting. Ya ya ya, get a life I know. Back to the story. Never seen EA plants here, can't speak for Eastern Canada (Mike?) but never EA plants. Not at Walmart, Home Depot, Rona. Nope. Of course I bought one! Silly question. Now they only had what they call H. rubra (is it Krimson Princess?), and I don't normally go for the larger scale hoyas, but it was in nice shape and had such pretty leaves...anyway couple or three questions for all of you. Did I read some time back that EA puts their hoyas in an altogether unacceptable mix? If so, should I change it promptly even considering the time of year? Is it prone to reverting and should I nip off those reverty bits? Lastly, how do I grow this hoya? It is a carnosa (mutant/variant...?) right?

I'm gonna get in touch with Safeway Corporate and see if they can bring in more varieties of hoyas. If they can bring in bog-standard Ivy's from EA, surely they can bring in other types of hoyas. For you Canadians reading this, check your local Safeway, you might be surprised...

Kelly in Victoria

Comments (8)

Sponsored