SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jjdbike

Progressivly aggressive behaivure as they mature

jjdbike
18 years ago

I have enjoyed watching a set of twins grow up this summer. When I first spotted them they were almost always together, feeding, perching & traveling. They ignored other birds and were only slightly cautious of us as opposed to their parents who were VERY spooky w/ us. As they mature they are becomming more aggressive, to each other and especially other birds, of which I have a lot! They often dive at, peck, and visoiusly drive other and much bigger birds from my yard. These seem to be random acts of violance. They have also become quite fearless of us. I almost would not be supprised if they started attacking us. Is this "normal-behaivure"? Are there any theories on how this behaivure developed. Don't get me wrong, I feel very blessed to have these beautiful and amazing creatures in my yard. This behaivure is a bit unnerving however.

Thanks

JD

Comments (3)

• wardw
    18 years ago

Food can be scarce; unlike feeders, recently fed upon flowers are tapped out, so ideally a single bird will control a patch large enough to keep it going. During the breeding season you'll see the same thing with birds like robins, and in fact most woodland species. So yes, this is normal behavior.

I did notice another method last night at the feeder. Since the controling male pulled out a few days ago at least three young birds have been arguing over the feeder. I noticed one sitting nearby watching two others going at it full blast, the usual air show. As soon as they chased each other off over the roof he flew in for a nice long drink. So maybe aggression isn't the only strategy that works?
    Is our species that much less aggressive? If you think about it I can guess what your answer might be. At least hummingbirds only consume current resources, and haven't, like one species I won't mention, figured out how to consume the future's resources too.

• sarahbn
    18 years ago

Good point ward! When they get to Mexico there will be so many other hummingbird species there. the non migratory ones will probably bully our rubies so they will be at the bottom of the hummingbird pecking order? Just wondering. Sarah

• mimidi
    18 years ago

Food for thought Sarah.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus