SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alaska_flower

What's a Mealy Bug???

alaska_flower
17 years ago

Well, I see from reading the various hoya forum threads that there is an occasional problem with mealy bugs. In fact, even though the E-Bay vendor I ordered my new plants from was highly recommended by several people, one person did tell me that she found a mealy bug on a new hoya from this seller. She considered it acceptable, coming from a commercial greenhouse, and dispatched the bug with alcohol.

I am very fortunate that I don't have a problem with bugs on my houseplants. I have an occasional gnat, but they seem to be more interested in my computer monitor than my plants.

I did a Google search to find out what a mealy bug looks like. It appears they resemble sow bugs, but they are usually white. The big question I still have is, how big are these bugs? It's hard to tell from the photos. And it looks like they deposit a cottony (or mealy) residue in the plant? I would appreciate any further information on how to locate/identify them.

O know I need to inspect the plants when they arrive. All of the bright lighting in my apartment is in my plant areas, where the newcomers are not welcome just yet. Would it be safe to inspect them outdoors if the temperature is in the 50's or 60's?

I do have Safer's Soap, and will probably try to soak the plants in it for an hour, as has been recommended for cuttings. Do you use it full-strength for this? I may just spray the plants if it looks like that would reach all the surfaces more easily. (Yes, they're compactas.) If I don't actually see any bugs on my new plants, is one application of Safer's Soap adequate? Next time I get to the store, I'll see if I can find GSE.

Thanks for any recommendations or suggestions to keep the critters from taking up residence on my plants!

Sue

Comments (4)

Sponsored