SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kines_gw

Is QOTS blue?

kines
15 years ago

Some might recall my little mini-rant last year about Queen of the Seas. I felt a little misled by the HL photo that depicted a blue plant (which made me jump to buy it at "first season" prices), when in fact it turns out to be green with a little bluish to it early in the season. Some folks answered that theirs are indeed blue, so maybe something's wrong with mine.

Well, I follwed through with my proposed experiment of putting a potted specimen on my front porch in the winter to see it's full blue potential. Below is a photo of the result, a QOTS grown without seeing a single photon of direct light (you can see how it has really "stretched out" looking for light, too). There is a yardstick beside it for scale. To the left is a halcyon for comparison, but it's not really fair, because it comes from the back yard where it has been in full mid day sun. I should have thought to put it there to begin with, but didn't.

Anyhow, the overall result is clear enough: yes, it does have a fair amount of nice blue wax to it, but is truly nowhere near the intense blue depicted in the HL shot. With all due respect to the hybridizer of this plant, and those responsible for getting the photo taken and posted, I still maintain it is strongly photoshopped, and therefore misleading.

And before you answer to me : "relax, it's just a hosta" - yeah, I know, but I still wanted to do this experiment, and since I went to the trouble, I thought I'd share. I think QOTS is a lovely plant, and I'm proud to have two nice specimens of her.
Update: I just checked the HL again before posting, and lo and behold - there's a pair of new photos there, and they are much more realistic. Interesting.

KN.
{{gwi:995477}}

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH