SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
luckylittlebug

Ted Green Cuttings - Fitchii & sp. Square Leaf

luckylittlebug
13 years ago

Hi,

I don't think I have ever posted to this forum in particular but I have most definitely been a lurker for quite some time, I even know of Al's beer formula, how you all hate mealies (me too!) and how you love ST and Eleanor's...though I've never used either myself yet, but I hope to some day because of what I've read so far.

I'm coming out of hiding in desperation. I ordered 3 different cuttings from Ted Green back in June, Subcalva, Odorata & Obscura (I was in the mood for some scented hoya)and they all came without a hitch...I put them in my ICU on my kitchen counter, under lights and they are all putting out new growth now, except for the subcalva (not worried...isn't it notorious for being a slow grower?)The only problem I had back then was that the odorata came with some mealies but that isn't hard to control with alchohol & BATS, especially on quarantined cuttings and I got rid of them right away and they never showed up again.

So, last week it dawned on me that the cold weather is going to soon arrive and that if I want any more cuttings I better get them soon...so I ordered H. Fitchii and sp. square leaf from Ted Green. They came in the mail today, a week later. and my guess is they were in the mail a whole week (over a week, actually) because the square leaf looks terrible & the fitchii not much better & at the bottom of the box was a search and seizure warrant detailing that the USDA had detained the box and searched it for some period of time. To top it all off there are signs of mealies on one of the cuttings. So, I didn't know exactly what to do...they are currently out on the porch away from other plants, soaking in sugar water. I hope they make it because those two little cuttings cost me 40 dollars!

Does anyone who has personal experience with either of these plant have any information that could increase my chances of saving them? I would be eternally grateful if you could pass that information along! Also, has anyone here successfully grown Hoya Bella or Hoya Polyneura? Any tips? I would like to improve the coloring of my H. Polyneura (side note: I think I overwatered it 2-3 weeks ago. It has white streaks now)...and I've read horror stories about Bella though I'm pretty confident I can grow it. BTW, is there a version with more succulent leaves? The Bella I got recently has one little vine with shiny waxy leaves that are filled with moisture but it's the only one like that...the others are papery but moist and healthy. Sorry this was so long!!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Traditional Hardwood Floors LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Your Industry Leading Flooring Refinishers & Installers in Columbus