SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
birdsnblooms

Hoya Trellis

birdsnblooms
14 years ago

Howdy..I've been looking for plant hoops and/or trellis/es, something for hoyas and other vining plants..

Anyone know of a store/s that sell small types? (hoops or trellis)

I found a few on Ebay. Some are decorative and costly, others too large..10 1/2" x 19H..Too large, right? Especially for 4-6" pots..??

OR, better yet, does anyone know of a way to make their own? I've made hoops from colored hangers..the hangers are too light to hold clothes, very generic. My Steph circles one of these hangers, but the hanger is so thin it barely stands upright,let alone hold the vine..lol. Never buy 10 hangers for 2.00 for clothing, especially jeans..

Pug had a pretty and exact size trellis holding up a Hoya..think it's macrophylla..Pug, if you're reading this, will you please repost that picture and give me numbers? I can't recall the thread it was on..if it's too much work, that's okay, I'll search through the threads.

I don't care about looks (well, unless it's all rusty and falling apart, lol)...as long as it does the job, 'holds vines.'

One more question..When a trellis or stake is inserted in soil, how do you get it to stand upright? Like I mentioned above, my Stephonotis winds around a hanger..the top of the hanger which was once a hook now straightened out long..the problem is, the hook-part doesn't stay in place,

(in the soil) it leans, sometimes falls over. I admit the hanger is generic, but I've had this happen with other/real stakes/trellis before. Is there a solution? Thanks, Toni

Comments (44)

• geosdee
    14 years ago

Toni, I get mine from Home Depot and Lowes.

Dee

• theplanthoarder
    14 years ago

I've seen them made from wire mesh. You just need a wire cutter and a role of it you can buy cheaply at Lowes or Home Depot. You could also paint it green with metal spray paint.

• Related Discussions

New Hoya Trellis Idea

Q

Comments (29)
    I think that is a terrific idea. Another suggestion that I used for a trellis for a Thunbergia is copper refrigeration tubing which comes in a coil and can be found at Home Depot, etc. I simply pulled the end that was in the center up and out of the coil and it made a nice spiral. You can pull it up as high as you like it. To anchor it in the pot I took the other (outside) end of the coil and bent it down to the length needed to extend into the bottom of the pot I was using and proceeded to fill the pot with soil and the plant. It has worked very well so far for me. Not sure how heavy a hoya would be that would cover this size of trellis, but it is quite decorative. I just bought my first hoya and am thinking of trying it on the copper trellis.
    ...See More

Best way to train a hoya

Q

Comments (5)
    Hi Paul, As you can see, there are different ways to do this. I doubt there's a 'best' way, more like personal preference. I myself use wire coat hangers, opened up & bent into whatever shape I want, often I use a U-shape & place it upside down in the pot, training the vine. Others I've done around circular wire hoop (pegged down into the mix). Then I affix the vines w/ various things, twister ties from bread bags, I use binder clips for the heavier Hoyas, some folks I know use pipe cleaners. One just needs to take take not to tie it too tightly lest it strangle the vine. I've also seen folks use plain old orchid clips.
    ...See More

Hoya australis Re-trellis

Q

Comments (3)
    Thank y'all! She's the third Hoya I've acquired. Years later I'm up to 22! Lol
    ...See More

Will you post pictures of your Hoya's? Specific request inside

Q

Comments (11)
    >> On one of the posts here, someone took some of the wire gardening fence that comes in about 8 foot lengths. yes, that was in sep 1 post above. it's a great idea. very useful. yr trellis is very handsome ! that same post with old link also mentions growing them in- self-watering pots to a huge size. i actually have been growing my 2 H.carnosa since 2014 from 2" pots, xferring them into 4" after a yera or so. but always on a water-wick in semi-hydro on a flimsy trellis. and finally after 3! years xferred it to a pint-tub - a whole 1" wider. so now exactly 4 years later here are 2 of them standing at 26" high, still in semi-hydro with long water-roots underneath. it's very tricky to keep it upright on a trellis in such a tiny pot though. i basically had to tie long stakes to a Ficus next to it and it's currently conquering the ficus and blooming all summer very well. what you see is 2 pots of Hoya stuck in basket next to each other, next to the F. lyrata.
    ...See More
  • User
    14 years ago

Hey Toni,

My friends who used to grow lots of Ceropegias (Sage of the Ceropegia journals, Ceropegias are cousins of Hoyas) often used inverted tomato cages to support them & keep 'em somewhat contained.

I make hoops from wire hangers, tho' my Hoyas aren't large size usually. I use binder clips to secure the hoops to the edge of the pot on heavier Hoyas like Kerriis & Obovatas.

When I post the rest of my new Hoyas pix, you'll see I sometimes make some free-form wire forms over which to drape my Hoyas.

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Hey Toni,

Here's a better picture of the trellis that I am using...I got it on ebay. Its 10 1/2" x 19" tall (2) Pk.

Sent you an email with the link!

{{gwi:982721}}

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone..Karen, when you have time, post pics..Binder clips? The heavy metal gadgets that hold paper?

Pug, I got your email..Ironically, I found the exact, same trellis, same size, 2 per pack for .99 each..lol..Then, after checking their merchandise, I figured it's the same company with different names..lol..

BTW, what size pot is your Hoya in? It really looks nice. Next I'll need clips..lol..

• Denise
    14 years ago

Those are nice, Pug. Can you post a link here to the seller? I have some like that but much smaller. I like the way they look, but when you grow on shelves, it's hard to use a trellis, so few of mine have them. They're what I call "free-flowing"! Except the aggressive climbers, which sit at the base of full-sized garden trellises.

Denise in Omaha

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Toni,

I just measured that pot...its an unusual size 5 1/2" from (end to end).

Denise, Its weird but the seller has listed them several ways...$4.99/Pk with free shipping...and the other is like .99/pk with $4.00 shipping,lol.either way you slice it its around $5.00 for (2).

I posted one of the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plant Trellis

• adeep
    14 years ago

I have a related question, so figured I would hijack this thread a little bit(Sorry Toni)-when do you start a plant on a trellis? And what do you do when you need to pot up? I ask b/c I just got a h. cummingiana in a 4" pot that I'd like to grow on a trellis, and I know that they can be quite hard to train so should be started when they're young. Do I put a little trellis in now and then when it gets bigger, switch to a bigger one? How would I untangle it?
    Adee

• Denise
    14 years ago

Adee,

And that, to me, is one of the dilemmas of growing on a trellis. I have learned you can repot a hanging plant in a pot that is thoroughly entangled in the hangers... it can be done, though it's a challenge! Earlier this year, I repotted my macgillivrayii even though it was in a pot beneath a full-sized (7') trellis. Just takes a bit of effort...

Denise in Omaha

• ks_girl
    14 years ago

I use bamboo hoops that I get at the nursery center and start out with a small hoop and add taller ones as needed, leaving the smaller one in the pot also.

Hobby Lobby has 2 round trellis in their floral department that I like useing because I've found that the round ones don't tip as easily as the flat ones. One doesn't have any spikes to go into the ground so I use large office binder clips to hold it to the pot.
    They're $11.99 each and I use their internet coupon and get 40 - 50% off.

{{gwi:982726}}

{{gwi:982730}}

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Jo, Those are really cool!! We don't have a Hobby Lobby here in FL? At least I've never seen one around here...I've not seen anything close to that trellis here. Thanks for the pics!

• maidinmontana
    14 years ago

Hi,

Heres a pic of my H. carnosa on a trellis. I bought this for a black eyed susan vine a few years ago and decided to use it for this hoya this year. I like the way it stands in the pot and the way the hoya climbs all over it. I went to get some more but they are all gone.

I really like the ones you showed, Gabi. did you have to bend in the ends so it would fit in the pot?

{{gwi:982733}}

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey Pug..I just looked at your Hoya pic..Which Hoya is that? I love it!!

Adee, no problem joining in..I think it's best adding a trellis/stake when a vine is young so it gets used to climbing..The problem is, as the plant grows, a larger trellis would be needed. Unless one started with a large trellis, but how would a large trellis fit a 4" pot?

On the other hand, like Denise said, unfoiling vines is a chore. The larger the plant the harder to unwind..

KS, wow, your trellis are different..Hobby Lobby..sounds familiar but don't know if any are around here..

Maid, Your Carnosa is sooo pretty..do you keep it in that spot? What's its age..

• maidinmontana
    14 years ago

Hi Toni,

Thanks! No it usually sits in a window sill that faces west, right up against the glass, I have a woven shade I pull down in the afternoon so the sunlight isn't quite so intense. I had to move it to a solid wall so the trellis would show up for the picture.

I think its a little over 1 year old. I took cuttings (2 small) from a lady I clean for. Funny thing about this plant is when I took the cuttings, I didn't realize they were two different kinds of Hoyas (I seriously couldn't tell due to the stress the mother plant was/still is in) Both were very pale, withered up and stiff. So I put them both in the same pot, along with a H. compacta from the same lady (not knowing the *right* way to root hoyas). Well, they rooted and grew like crazy. After some good advise here I seperated the H. carnosa from the H. compacta but I didn't seperate the two different carnosas (I didn't know they were different). Turns out one is a H. carnosa "krimson queen' that is reverting back to solid green. I found this out when it popped out a leaf with pink on it and posted here to find out what the heck was going on. Thats what the experts said it was so I'm goin with that.

I'm not sure if the light it gets is the correct exposure/amount, but it does so well there I'll leave it. I'd love to see flowers, but maybe the place I have it is only making foliage, as it constantly has new growth both leaves and vines.

• gabro14
    14 years ago

Hi Maid,

I didn't post any trellis pics on here, so I assume you are talking about the ones in my hoya album? I don't bend the ends on the green hoops or the bamboo hoops (obviously...it would be a miracle if I can bend bamboo!!), but I do bend these trellises because the little wire piece at the bottom doesn't go far down at all (maybe an inch at most);

But I love the way you can fill up the inside by wrapping vines both in and out of the "hoop" part:

{{gwi:92740}}

I know it's hard to see the actual trellis, but something like this will stay in usually just because the vines of the hoya hold it in. The only thing I watch for is tipping, but either chopsticks or just adjusting it helps when that happens:

Here's a pic that shows that trellis better (I got a few of these in a trade from someone on here who makes them - I haven't seen her in awhile, but she is a craft genius!) You can see a green stake behind the trellis that is helping to hold it up for now, until it grows more:

These are the smaller green wire hoops that stay in really well because they go way down into the pot, and they are wider at the bottom (which makes them tight inside the pot). These are from Carol:

Gabi

• maidinmontana
    14 years ago

D'oh Gabi, my bad. I meant that for Pug. But hey it sparked you to post more pics and that's alway a good thing.

I just ordered 2 packs from e bay like the ones posted above, then I'll see if DH (he's a welder) can design something simular so I will have plenty.

I tried to use some virginia creeper vine, which is simular to grape vine. It didn't work, but I didn't wait for them to dry. I'll do it different next time and see if it works better. They'd kind of be like bamboo.

• ks_girl
    14 years ago

If I want to use a trellis lager than will fit in the pot I set the hoya pot it in a larger pot and fill in around it with gravel and stick the trellis in that and than when I want to repot I just stick my arm through the trellis to hold it.

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Very NICE HOYAS AND TRELLISES Gabi and Maidin!!

Toni, I'm pretty sure its Hoya carnosa "Moteskie" I think? They were unrooted cuttings from a very nice member here from a (trade). Its grown since that last picture...filling out the trellis, now I just wish it would flower.

Hey Maidin, I didn't have to bend the trellis since its tapered...but maybe if you used a smaller pot you might have to. That's cool that your DH will be able to make them for you! Nothing beats homemade and great price(free)!

{{gwi:982749}}

• maidinmontana
    14 years ago

Wow ! I love that hoya Pug. . .

I ordered the trellis posted above from Ebay yesterday. . . last night I got a shipment notice from the USPS, they shipped it last evening, I will get it tomorrow, and the shipping was free. . . how cool is that!!

• treelover3
    14 years ago

I buy aluminum clothes line wire that is covered with either a light blue or light green plastic/vinyl covering and it is very easy to work with. It comes in a coil so hoops more-or-less form themselves. 50' runs about $11.00. The light blue covering is more attractive than the light green covering.

Due to circular hoops taking up so much room, I am now making the hoops into more of a U shape which uses more of the space above the plants.

This aluminum wire is quite sturdy and does not rot or rust like bamboo or metal wire.

Almost any hardware store should carry the clothes line wire.
    Mike

• suetran1
    14 years ago

Hi Toni
    I bought this from HD at garden section. It cost about $3.00, it had 6 frames and you can separate them. I cut the midle of the horizontal lines and squeeze it together so it can fix into any pot size. Hope I can give you some ideas.
    sue

{{gwi:982752}}

{{gwi:982755}}

{{gwi:982758}}

{{gwi:982762}}

• PRO
    Jan Sword-Rossman Realty 239-470-6061
    14 years ago

Nice looking hoyas you guys. Nancy, that looks like motoskei.

• okie_deb
    14 years ago

Sue that idea you came up with is cheap and looks it would work fine the way you explained it. I may look into some of those panels. Thanks!,,,,Debbie

• gabro14
    14 years ago

Yep Pug, looks like motoskei...and a gorgeous one at that!!! It is definitely blooming size - any day now :)
    And once it starts, it is out of control! Every time I see growth there are peduncles on the new vine! And ooh...it smells like chocolate!!

Gabi

• PRO
    14 years ago

I have 2 tall bamboo hoops from HD and the 2 pieces of Dracana tree cuttings for support. I am seeing growth on the Daracana tree, I am debating to take out the dracanas or leave them in as living support. The only problem leaving it in there I might not be able to seperate the H. lauterbachii from Dracana. Hmmm! what to do...what to do...
    Any ideas?????????????

• moonwolf_gw
    14 years ago

Beautiful lauterbachii Jan! Someday when I get my greenhouse, that's one I definitely want to grow!
    I saw the picture of the flowers at Logee's and they are something else!

I made homemade trellises out of old clothes hangers and bamboo stakes (2 ft.) The stakes I got in a pack at a craft and antique store reasonably cheap and they work for me. I used them for my Pink Silver plant and KQ cuttings.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• suetran1
    14 years ago

Jan, your plant is beautiful, it is look nice with tall support. However, I wonder what fertilize you will give it for? I think the dracana did not need fertilize like hoya, for me I will separate them, buy a metal green stick as tall, put it in the center of the pot and tide it with the bamboo.
    sue

• okie_deb
    14 years ago

Ks-Girl I called my Hobby Lobby here in town and they carry the trellis's you posted the picture of. This week there is a 40% off store coupon too!
    Thanks for the heads up!,,,,Debbie

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Maidin, thanks!

Thanks Jan and Gabi for the ID...Moteskei it is then!

Chocolate scent...now I really can't wait for the flowers.
    Somehow though, I've not had much luck with my flowers having a strong scent. Lacunosa is the only one that I've been able to detect(strong). The rest I have to shove my nose right up to it...and even then only has a faint smell. I hope this one is strong...I love chocolate everything,lol

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    14 years ago

God, everyone's Hoyas are absolutely Gorgeous.

Hey Pug, I remember first talking to you..Wasn't it you who said you didn't have room for more plants?? lolol..
    Your hoya is a beauty..Where on earth do you find them? Sehesh..Gotta love foliage that are spotted, veined, or fancy leaf.

Sue, the fenciing you got at HD is a fabulous idea. Your hoyas look great, too.

Maid, have you ever fertilized with a Blooming food? I'm going to use All Purpose then alternate with Blooming..it might or might not work..(during growing season)

Gabi, your hoyas are lovely..beautiful.

So far, I purhased trellis's like Pug bought..I then went to Joni's site and bought hoops. And a hoya, couldn't refuse..lol..Gonna add on her Wish List too..

Now I have to figure out what someone said about bending the bottom wires? Can somoeone please explain how this is done without breaking the wire?
    Can they be bent by hand or do I need a tool? Does bending prevent hoops from tilting?
    Now that I think back, years ago I hooped an Ivy. I bent the 'hanger wire' tips, then ran them through the drainage holes. Afterwards, tied the tips so they wouldn't slip out of the drainage holes.. I now see how it works..I totally forgot about it. I did the same with a couple orchids potted in wooden/square pots.
    Only problem is, the wire I used was thin, no problem slipping through drainage holes. I can't see this working with the containers hoyas are in..Hmmm...

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Thanks Toni,

I've had that hoya for over a year,lol...that's not a newly purchased one. Its the same hoya I posted several posts above, its just grown since and repotted to a bigger pot. I got it as un-rooted cuttings from a trade. Yes, I am slowly and running out of room, pretty soon I will have to sell some furniture :o)

• gabro14
    14 years ago

Pug, my motoskei has been in bloom all summer, and it is in my bedroom. It smells up the WHOLE ROOM, even with just one umbel in bloom!

I'm the same way with hoya blooms - I can't smell them too easily unless I put my nose right up to them. But the stronger scented ones, like motoskei, lacunosa, and acuta take up the whole room! Sometimes I don't even know they are blooming until I say "hmmm, why does it smell so good in here??"

Gabi

• PRO
    14 years ago

Sue, thanks! I think I'll pull the Dracanas out before the roots get too large.

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Gabi, thanks for the info. Now I'm really excited to see some blooms!! If its as strong as Lacunosa, then I'm sure I will be able to smell it. That's one that I definitely smell :o)

• treelover3
    14 years ago

I tried to find out if Holly Hobbie had stores in the Twin Cities, but I can't even find a website for them. I checked Dex online, but Dex is worthless.

Are the stores actually called Holly Hobbie? I love the look of those trellises.
    Thanks,
    Mike

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Hi Mike(MN)

Actually its called Hobby Lobby...here's their website. I know that they don't have them in FL :o(

Here is a link that might be useful: Hobby Lobby website

• treelover3
    14 years ago

Good grief, I guess I better clean my glasses. (:o)
    Thanks, Pug, for the clarification. I don't believe we have Hobby Lobby stores here, but I will check the website. Maybe the trellis' can be ordered from the website?
    Thanks again, Pug!
    Mike

• treelover3
    14 years ago

There are two Hobby Lobby stores in MN; one is in Rochester and the other is in Mankato. Both stores are about 80 miles, one way, from me. The Mankato store has two of each topiary form (cone and swirl). I guess it's road trip this weekend!
    Mike

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Your Welcome Mike!! I have glasses and still miss stuff, no biggie. Glad you found a store...sorta near you. How bad was the shipping?

Debbie(okie deb) posted above that they had 40% off coupons...maybe you can email the store or call to see how you can take advantage of that...that's a good sale! Will help off set your gas and time,lol...

• okie_deb
    14 years ago

Mike MN. go to the site Pug gave above for Hobby Lobby. Then up top of the site page look for "Weekly Specials" and click that then when that page opens look for "View Coupon" and click that and you will see a printable coupon to slip in your wallet to get the 40% off your purchase. Coupon ends Sept. 19th. A new one will come up for next week when the new ad is published but we never know the discount percentage.
    I looked at the trellis's but they are for pots bigger than I use normally. They are for 6 inch or bigger pots. I didn't pick any up today but could like said above put a smaller pot in a bigger pot to station the trellis. This would be easy for potting up because you would just replace the Hoya pot with the trellis pot and stuff soil mix around the soil cube of the 4 inch pot to fill in.,,,,,Debbie

• ks_girl
    14 years ago

I went by Hobby Lobby and picked up another trellis this week and they're on sale as part of the wire things at 50% off. Even better!

I saw some small trellis at a Nursery like the ones on ebay and they were $8. so the ebay price of $2.50 is a really good one.
    Jo

• treelover3
    14 years ago

Pug,
    You know, I never checked the website to see if the topiary forms could even be shipped. I'll do that and see how it works out.

Deb,
    Thanks, I'll print the coupon before I leave. So if they're on special for 50% off, could I also use the 40% off coupon as well? Probably not since that would make them a buck or two given I'd be getting almost 90% off.
    Thanks all,
    Mike

• maidinmontana
    14 years ago

Toni, it was I who mentioned bending the ends of the trellis. The one I showed in the pic of my H. carnosa is actually for outdoor use (in the ground) rather than inside a pot. So the ends that go into the soil were'nt tapered inwards. So in order to get it to fit inside the *tapered* pot, I had to bend them inward. I didn't use a tool, just put it on the counter and pushed on it until it was the angle I wanted.

I haven't noticed my trellis tipping. I got the trellis's I ordered off of E-bay yesterday. I think I'm really gonna like them. I got 4 for under $10.00. They are nice and tall, so there is plenty of growing room, and actually quite sturdy.

Hope this made sense.

Maid

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Pug, at least your got your priorities right..Rid the furniture, keep the plants..lol..Good thinking!

Maid..I too got, 10 Trellis sets..lol..Think I ordered enough? lol
    I also ordered hoops from SRQ...What I plan on doing is using hoops for smaller vines, and the trellis for larger..Hope this works.
    I think you, Pug and I got these trellis's from the same seller..he/she goes under different names..lol..I discovered this 'after' making my purchase. I got stuck paying postage, but tellis for 2 for 2.00..so maybe it works out. We'll see.
    The hoya hobby is costly..lol

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting