SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sevenwndrs

Please Help: Neglected Hummingbird Eggs

sevenwndrs
14 years ago

Greetings Hummingbird Lovers ~

I have been back and forth to and from my laptop all night with no sleep, looking for a website that could possibly help me. I found a bird forum at around midnight, and posted there, but I cam across this website that seems it may be a bit more helpful for my situation. I truly hope so. So because I am so very tired and seeing double of everything, I figure it would be best to copy and paste what I wrote earlier. This way, I am not spamming you with a bunch of typo's. Also, I want to thank anyone eho decides to read this and possibly offer any advice. I know this thread is long. I just wanted to be specific so as to not leave anything out. Thank you so much for your time.

(Midnight)

Let me start by asking everyone to please forgive me. I feel horrible. I will explain from the beginning. We have a very large, beautiful tree in our front yard. The branches spread out into the street on the front side, and onto our patio near the fron door. About a week ago, I noticed what I thought was a baby hummingird. She was so tiny. And everytime I stepped outside, she would fly right up to me, just zipping around. I fell in love immediately. I found it so funny that she would come so close. So I did a bit of research and learned that of all wild birds, hummingbirdsare in fact the least afraid of humans. So I figured she was just trying to make a friend of me. But then I thought, wait ... that is silly. This is a tiny little bird who is hanging around a tree that has no blossums of any kind for her to nip in. So I took a look around, which took all of about 15 seconds when I saw this itty, bitty, tiny, web like nest. I did not want to harm or contaminate it, so I gently pulled the branch down from the other end (the nest was on the very tip end of the branch), to make sure it was hers, and sure enough there were 2 baby eggs. So I gently let it back up, and she sat back down on her babies. So everyday I came outside and would whistle to her. She would fly around me, land sometimes, and while she was being cautious, I know she was not freaking out. It almost seemed that she began to expect me. So I purchased a hummingbird feeder and filled it with nectar. I was concerned however because she built her nest as close to my patio as possible, plus she built it at the very tip of the branch that blows real hard in the wind ~ day and night but moreso in the evening. Well, here comes the mistake.

I told my 7 tear old son about her and he was very excited. He knows not to touch or anything like that. The problem is, everytime he saw me go outside to check on her, he would chase after me. And of course anytime there is ANY comotion, she jumps out of her nest and flutters around. Well this evening, I stepped outside, and my son had just had desert and was in a hyper mood. My cat had heard me whistiling by the way, and had come out front to see if I had treats for her. So me and my cat were already there, and then all of the sudden my son bursts out the door screaming "Let me see, let me see, let me see!!!". Oh it was horrible. She jumped out of the nest so fast the the entire branch shook so hard. That is not the worst of it. She flew onto my patio in a panic and was flying so fast and hard, up and down, that she was slamming into the patio ceiling. It was awful. And I knew in that moment that something would change. That was nearly 5 hours ago and she has not been seen since. You must understand that in a week, she has NEVER been gone. She was ALWAYS in that tree. I even wondered how she found food because she was either in the nest, or fluttering around the tree during the day. So I was all upset, and my husband tried to assure me that she was fine ~ that she was just frightened and she was probably watching her nest from a safe distance high up in the tree. But I do not believe it. I have gone out there every hour checking. She isnt there. She wont even come when I get near the nest or whistle. She always came to both. I feel so awful that it is literally making me ill to my stomach. And I KNOW that the wildlife treaty says to leave the eggs alone but I just CANT. If she does not come back, I want to give them a chance. I read how very hard, and sleepless caring for eggs can be. I do not care. It is worth it because it is all my fault. I will keep them in my room and use my alarm clock to keep them fed every hour. But I do not know how to care for the eggs. I know most folks will more than likely respond, telling me to just let them be. But please also know that it is not in my nature to do nothing. I am an animal lover who has basically, carelessly killed these babies by wanting to look at the mommy ~ and allwoing my son to chase after me. So I pray someone gives me advice that will possibly keep these birds alive. Look, where I live, people HATE pigeons, and spend a lot of time and money on poisoning them, trapping them, and the like. They frustrate me too. They eat all of my cat food. But they are God's creatures and that is good enough for me. Once, a stumbling, poisoned one walked into the street and tried to fly when my car was upon it. It flew up just high enough to fall back down on the hood of my car. I was new in town, and spent an hour trying to find an animal hospital. Once I got there, I was laughed at and made fun of by the staff who went on to tell me that if they tried to help the bird, there were no guarentee's as it had been poisoned and would most likely die. So they said the most they could do was to help it die comfortably, either quickly, or slowly with medication. I chose the latter, and paid $400 for it and it still died ~ and that killed me. So as you can imagine, a sweet, tiny, fragile mommy hummingbird is sending my guilt out the roof. I have to do something.

Last question ~ as I mentioned she has been gone for hours. And while I have not seen this behavior before ~ does anyone think it is at all possible that she is just so freaked that she is chilling at the top of the tree for awhile ~ but that by morning she might come back? Do birds ever come back? Does anyone think there is still a chance? Online it says that the babies need constant heat from the mommy tush for 14 days. :(

Ugh ~ this is just awful!

(Now)

It is 3:30AM and she is not back to her nest. I feel like I am dying. I do not know why this is hurting me so bad. The kids and I were just so excited, and I am just hurting so bad that it is making me so sick. I would give anything to make it right. We have not touched her or the nest or the babies. Did she just think it was too risky? Will she have babies again? Can I give these babies a fighting chance? How do I assure 100 degrees temp and humidity in my home?!! I would do anything to bring them into this world. But they have not had her sit on them for hours. Is it too late? Is it still possible she will come back? You know they say that there are those 5 stages of death (with a loved one), and I swear to you I have gone through them all in the last 8 hours. I was in denial, teling myself she would come back over and over, then I was angry, and blamed myself hard, then I found myself bargaining (with God), and now I am in the depression stage, and wanting so bad to be already in the "acceptance" stage. Of course I know how silly that sounds out loud. I am just so busy all of the time. I work hard and I am so busy with family, the kids, work, etc. This was something SO amazing. I mean ... hummingbirds!! In Vegas! In my yard ... on my patio!! I filmed her. And like I said above, we were logging everything we saw. But maybe all of that time, we were stressing her out and I did not realize it. And when it got real loud and she banged against the wall ... I guess it was too much for her. I know you all think I am a nut. I am just so tired, and I am venting. And I thought ... no better place than on a bird forum to vent about it ... and maybe get some advice. Is it possible the mother will come back? Will I make it worse? I will keep praying. Thanks again to anyone who takes the time to read and possibly offer some advice.

Thank you for your time everyone. I cherish your thoughts and answers!

Blessings from Las Vegas!

~ Heather

Comments (12)