SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tropicbreezent

Some Hoya in habitat photos

tropicbreezent
11 years ago

Thought there might be some interest in seeing how some Hoyas grow as it gives a better understanding of the conditions they prefer. I'm still on holidays and travelling, and currently in Cooktown, Queensland. This is where Captain Cook pulled in after running his ship aground on the Great Barrier Reef. They had to dump 50 tonnes of supplies, including cannons, overboard to save the ship. Took them 7 weeks to get repairs done during which time their (now) famous botanists Joseph Banks and Daniel Solander went ballistic on collecting and illustrating newly discovered plants.

The area lies on the edge of the Wet (rainforest) tropics and the dry (savanna woodland) tropics. I climbed Mt Cook, a small mountain right on the edge of town. The base of it is composed of poor, granitic soils and only supports savanna woodlands. The upper parts are covered in rainforest. This provides for a range of habitats. It was on the lower slopes that I found a lot of Hoya australis. Going by geographic location (I can't pick the differences visually) it would be either ssp. tenuipes or ssp. sanae.

The conditions are pretty tough during the dry season (winter) when you get constant strong south east trade winds and it's continually hot and dry. Proximity to the sea would provide some margin of air humidity. The plants under the sparser woodland canopy looked better than those on the exposed rocky areas. None were flowering but the exposed plants had more peduncles.

Further up the mountain you have the rainforest with a much denser canopy. The different vegetation is very noticeable. It was here that I found Hoya pottsii growing over rocks and up into trees. The plants showed no signs of stress like the australis in the exposed sites. Didn't notice peduncles on any of the plants though either.

Comments (12)

Sponsored