SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
0errant

Hostas & Gophers

Errant_gw
9 years ago

Good morning :)

I'm new to Hosta gardening and would like to start a Hosta bed in a corner of my yard, under a group of pines. I'm concerned about gophers, as they ate 6 of 8 Hostas that I planted last year in another area of the yard. Last weekend I dug up those beds (raised) and completely lined them with 1/4" hardware cloth, 12" deep and up all four sides. I hope that was sufficient depth for the roots (the four that were eaten were replaced with Guacamole, I'm not sure what the two remaining were). I offending gopher was trapped the next day, but I'm sure there will be more :(

In this new corner where I want to plant, I will need to put each Hosta in it's own basket, as it's not a defined bed with sides. I can make them from the same 1/4" hardware cloth (I bought a big roll!), but am not sure what size I should make them. I was hoping all of you could help.

The Hostas I just received for that corner are:

Frost Giant 24-32"
Great Expectations 18-28"
Firn Line 15-20"
Sea Thunder 12-18"
Rainbow's End 12-16"

I've listed them by size, according to the info on the website I used to order them. I'm not sure if they need different sized baskets, or if I can just make them all the same size. They are bare root plants. What size would you suggest?

Also, being new to this, any other suggestions you have regarding the planting and care of my new babies would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (14)