SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
quinnfyre

OT: Need advice from Florida people

quinnfyre
12 years ago

Please help me with hurricane advice. I'm serious, not joking around. I need advice from you Floridians who deal with hurricanes and potential hurricanes on a regular basis. This also includes other people who have experience with hurricanes, so even if you're not currently in Florida, or live in a different area prone to hurricanes, I could use your advice too. I'm asking here because I know there are a bunch of you who live in hurricane zones and I want to hear it straight from a real person, not news media people or such.

I'm being told that we are potentially in the zone of a category 2 storm, ramped up from the previous prediction of category 1. I've never lived in a hurricane region before and never had to learn what this means. What does this mean? What sorts of precautions should I be taking? I'm not super anxious at the moment, is this unwise of me? I would rather be safe than sorry, or at least forewarned and better educated. I have no point of reference as to what it means to be in winds of over 100mph. It doesn't sound good.

I know it's not the worst type of hurricane, just like our taste of earthquake here was not the worst. But I'd rather not sit around here in ignorance and be shocked at what happens. I'd like some idea of what I might encounter. Thanks a bunch, from a native midwesterner who is way more used to tornadoes than hurricanes and earthquakes.

Comments (17)

Sponsored