SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mattdiclemente

H. tardiflora vs. H. lancifolia

mattdiclemente
12 years ago

Fellow Hosta Enthusiasts!

What is the scoop?

I often see two hosta varieties confused, conflated, and interchanged and otherwise combobled. What is the difference between Hosta tardiflora and Hosta lancifolia.

To add a little chaos to the mix, what is Host venusta 'tardiflora'. Are any of these plants in fact one and the same?

I have been looking a goodly while for a specimen of H. tadiflora for my own garden. This plant first came to my attention in Helen Van Pelt Wilson's book "Successful Gardening in the Shade", where it was mentioned and featured in a photograph plate. It is hosta that blooms very late in the season, a quality that I find most desirable.

It looked to me like a very thick, and prominently ribbed lancifolia type hosta. It seems that the true Tardiflora has small leaves, and proportionately large purple flowers.

Does such a plant or cultivar exist?

Is tardiflora simply an alternate name for lancifolia?

Am I correct at least in that tardiflora and lancifolia are often confused? Here in New Jersey, Hosta lancifolia begins flowering in August, continues in September, and will still bear some blossoms as the weather becomes cool for the year in the middle weeks of October. This is certainly "tardy flowering" in itself.

If tardiflora does exist as a seperate species or cultivar from lancifolia, where could one obtain a specimen? That is where could one obtain a specimen of tardiflora true, and not be sold a clump of lancifolia at three or four times the going rate?

What me to share this question with you is that some H. tardiflora is being offered right now on Ebay. If anyone would be so kind as to take a look, what do you think? Is this the general article.

I have plenty of H. lancifolia, and I love it, both for its late purple bells, its enduring foliage and its early emergience. Finding H. tardiflora though would be something truly special, worth making the order.

Can anyone offer advice or clarification.

Thank-you, and happy gardening!

Sincerely,

Matt

Comments (5)