SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kellyknits

Asiatica Open House - I went!!!

kellyknits
14 years ago

Life has been crazy as of late, so sort of spur of the moment I took off work last Friday and decided to head up to Asiatica's Open House! Woo Hoo!

If any of you should decide to go, which I suggest you do if you can make it, get GOOD directions prior to going! Or if you get lost ask the locals to direct you to the Speedway which is right next door...Asiatica is not typically open to the public so the locals aren't all in the know as to it's whereabouts. I was fortunate enough to run into Wendy, a driver with Fed-Ex who was more than happy to help a lost girl out!

When we(my Mom drove as she lives halfway between my house and Asiatica) pulled in, I got out of the car and proclaimed "We made it, we made it!" as it's not the easiest find and we were greeted by Jane who says, "Are you Kelly from WV?" Granted I did send an email the week before saying I was hoping to come up and asking about a few specific hoyas, but I'm still not sure how she knew I was "Kelly from WV". Wasn't the license plate on my car as we were in my Mom's car (PA license) and I own no clothing with anything WV on it. Pretty much the next words out her mouth were "I'll let Barry know you're here"! These people were fabulous and totally made me feel like a VIP!

Barry gave us a tour of his hoya/tropicals greenhouse which is JAMMED packed...I can't remember now just how many varieties of hoyas were in there, but there were hundreds upon hundreds of hoyas - many varieties not even listed on the website yet!

Jane in the middle and Barry on the right:

A wall of hoyas:

Across the greenhouse:

Barry with one of the few hoyas I DIDN'T buy:

Some of my hoyas:

Repotted hoyas:

I'm not even going to try to name them in the order they appear in the photos....here's what I got:

Hoya pandurata (not even on the website yet!)

Hoya thompsoni

Hoya pachyclada (has buds!)

Hoya megalaster (GORGEOUS leaves)

Hoya imperial "Pearl Pink" (It's HUGE)

Hoya siariae "Laguna"

Hoya hypolasia (LOVE the leaves on this one, too)

Hoya waymaniae

Hoya imbricata

Hoya lamingtoniae "Chocolate Star"

The greenhouse is totally overwhelming - it's literally a sea of plants! The walls are just covered in hanging hoyas and dischidias with even more mixed in on the tables! One could literally spend HOURS in there and amazingly Barry knows where EVERYTHING is. (Me: "Oh, I saw a picture someone posted on DG of imperialis 'Pearl Pink', do you know where that one is?" Barry: "Do I know where 'Pearl Pink' is...it's right over here!").

To be able to pick out my own hoyas was like a dream come true! Every single hoya I got has new growth on it! I already want to go back!

If anyone is close enough to go, I say do it! As if being surrounded by that many hoyas wasn't enough to make my day, Barry and Jane couldn't have been nicer people!

If anyone ever wants to go, let me know! I'd defnitely be up for going again!

Kelly

Comments (29)

Sponsored