SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
yardenman

Love Hostas, But Oh I Hurt

yardenman
16 years ago

Years ago, I started a line of basic variegated hostas along a pond raceway. Ans a few years ago, I planted some odds and ends of "clearance" hostas along a fence. I liked them so much (both kinds), that I started looking at individual varitieties. Then I started looking at other shade plants like heucheras and ferns.

Well, I think I did it right this year. Every muscle and finger hurts, but I like the hosta bed I've put in the past 5 days. I started (wrongly) by trying to arrange the new plants around the existing ones (which were rather haphazard). Looking at that afterwards, I realized I had to do it right. Hostas are too wonderful to do haphazardly.

So I took everything up in the largest soil clumps I could manage with 2 shovels, existing hostas, heucheras, and ferms. I inventoried everything I had, and laid them out on paper, arranged them, and started to place them according to the paper layout.

I finished it today, and it practically killed me. I had to pull up vine roots, dig through and chop through tree roots. And I made every plant hole 18" in diameter so I could add leaf compost and some organic fertililer into every hole while adding back enough of the existing (preety good forest soil).

I think it was worth it. I now have a back border of Big Daddies and Sum&Substance, Krossa Regals, and a few Halcyons interpolanted with large ferns. The next row out from the fence has Paul's Glory, June, and Aoki (Oh my goodness, that June is spectaular even small). The next row toward the front has Middle Ridge, Frangrant Bouquet, August Moon, and Aoki.

In the front, I have a border of 13 Gold Drops interplanted with 12 Japanese Painted Ferns. I have scatterred other ferns and Heuchera Raspberry Ice. into the bed

I've also scatterred Lily of the Valley through the whole bed (3 years plantings ago, but I transplanted many), so I am getting some early flowering before the hostas, heucheras, and ferns get to full size.

I think I will plant daffodils in the empty spots this Fall, as they seem to fade about the time the hostas grow larger.

The bed is 38' long and 8' deep to the fence

I think the best hosta I've ever seen is "June", and I think I will add a few more of those. I was so happy to finish the work today, I just had to tell somebody who might appreciate it!

I'm about the only person who will ever see the bed...

Comments (23)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES