SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
klea_gw

To act, or not to act?

Klea
11 years ago

Ok, I've got a problem and I'm hoping you guys can help me solve it.

I posted about my serpens a while back. I got this plant as a hanging basket last fall, back then it looked lush and alive, it even had seed pods on it at the time. Since then it has very slowely declined. Sometimes it seemed happy - putting out a tiny vine or two of new growth, or just looking green and fresh. And sometimes it would throw a tantrum and drop a couple of shriveled up vines. Then it put out flower buds! To my dismay they blasted while they were still quite small. It immediately started budding up again, and those buds are still developing (very slowly). The problem is that it has taken a turn for the worse and is starting to look very shriveled, and I'm thinking it might be dying on me. The problem could be root related. The plant is still in the basket I bought it in - I haven't changed the soil - and the soil is easily waterlogged. On the other hand, it might be temperature related (or it might be a mix of both). I keep this plant on a porch with walls on 2 sides and big windows on one side. I'm worrying that the night temperature might be too low (47C). It seemed to do a little better when I kept it inside the house.

Now the question is:

Should I change the soil? I'm worried the buds might blast if I disturb the plant by repotting it. I removed it from the pot a while back (to look at the roots), and the roots don't go further than halfway down the pot. I'm thinking maybe I should take out the bottom layer of soil and replace it with hydroton? But do I dare repotting and risk loosing the buds? Do I dare wait until it has flowered, and risk the plant dying while waiting?

Should I move the plant back in the house? I think the first set of buds blasted because I did just that - I moved it inside when the night temperature dropped to 5C.

I don't know what to do! Leave it alone until it has flowered, or try repotting and giving it a more stable day/night temperature? I would be grateful if you guys would share your thoughts on this. Should I act, or wait?

Here are some pictures:

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH