SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pistilo

I am new over here, and I know all of you

pistilo
16 years ago

know the hoya plants. OMG I read, and the terms are just something else. I love this hoya, don't know the name of it, but it has white flowers with the pink centers and its in a hanging basket.

In kindergarten terms, or hoyas for dummies, help me out please. The strings I know is where the flowers will pop, but if the strings on this plant become too long can I cut those off?

OMG your really hoya savy over here, I usally stay on the house plants. Learned so much over there too.

Question #2, how do you know when to repot?

Thanks ahead of time!!!

Comments (3)

• ines_99
    16 years ago

Hello! I hang in houseplants sometimes too, alot to learn over there! I think hoyas are pretty easy by comparison! Do you mean vines when you say strings? If so, sure you can cut them off, but you do take the risk of losing a vine that would potentially put out peduncles/buds. I usually just leave them be, I like the way they look, they add to the charactor of the plant...or u could wrap them around so they are no so obvious or in the way. If you don't like the bare look of the vines, keep in mind they usually do get leaves... eventually.

As for repotting, hoyas can stay for years and years in small pots, and this is actually recommended for them. As they get more potbound you may have to water more or ocassionally top dress with some fresh soil, but the general rule is, the smaller the pot the better!

• pistilo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you, and yes its vines. My BIL calls them strings. Its loaded with leaves and loves where I have it hanging.

I thought if it goes much longer, what do you do? I love the flowers on it. Yes thank you on the repotting wasn't to sure on it. I am trying to learn, talk about a novice, but I am getting better. I know I can come to these boards for great advice!

Its so nice that I can count on everyone, before I place a plant into the process of elimination.

• gabro14
    16 years ago

In addition to what Ines said about not cutting a vine that may potentially put out peduncles (the little stem that protrudes from the vine and has flowers on it), make sure you don't cut vines that already have peduncles on it, because flowers will continue to grow from those peduncles over and over again. If you have to cut them because they are just getting too long, no worries...new peduncles will grow since your plant is apparently at the "blooming" stage.

Would love to see a pic of your hoya if you get a chance to post one. We can also help you ID it if you're interested.

:)

Gabi

Sponsored