SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrsmarv1951

Vegetable garden fencing Q's...

mrsmarv
17 years ago

I posted this over in "Vegetables", but thought some Hudson Valley'ers would chime in, as well...the more information, the better.

I've been lurking for a while...I'm usually over at the Home Decorating Forum, but we're putting in a "new" garden and need some advice. We live in the Northeast (Dutchess County, NY) and are in the process of filling in a 20'x30' IG pool with un-screened and then screened topsoil. Thank goodness it was filled previously to almost the top (less 18"), or we'd be ready to shoot ourselves LOL. So far we've had 30 tons of soil delivered and there's another 15 tons to come. DH and I are 'debating' about the type of fencing we should use. DH wants to use 6' high hex/chicken wire around the perimeter, and I would like to use 6' high welded wire fencing. The entire perimeter is 100', less a small opening for the gate. We have alot of deer who live nearby, and I'm concerned about them running into the fence and prehaps collapsing it. The four end posts will be constructed of 3" metal pipe, which will be sunk down approx. 3' and then bolted to the cement walls of the existing pool. So the four corner posts will be very sturdy and we will have re-bar between each post all the way around for added strength. DH thinks that the hex/chicken wire will be strong enough to use as fencing. My concern is that the perimeter is so large, the hex/chicken wire won't be strong enough to withstand the deer 'run-ins', and also our Northeast winters with lots of snow. We don't want to disassemble the fencing yearly, so it has to be built to last. We had a 15'x20' garden about 15 years ago and used 4'high hex/chicken wire and had relatively no problems, but in the years since the deer population has been displaced by new construction and increase in their population.

Hopefully some of you will be able to advise and share your wisdom. Thanks in advance.

Nora

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21