SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
floota

The bones of the garden

floota
12 years ago

Greetings,

Today was the first time I'd gotten the camera out for ages, at least to take garden pictures. The garden as we move into winter looks very bleak indeed, but this is how things looked today. Just this week, some 20 bags of leaves have been raked, that is about 1/3 of the amount in all.

This is looking across the back:

Another view looking across the back. Pretty bleak, huh?

Same view in bloom season:

This week, the fence on the side is being taken down. It will be replaced with a taller privacy fence ( tired of looking at neighbor's butt ugly swimming pool) Miss Utility came today - they have to mark all of the lines before the new fence can go in. I appreciated that they used flags instead of orange paint through the beds!

About six weeks ago, this is the sight that we had in our front yard!

You can't see from the pictures, but the jeep not only took out the big dogwood but had driven through a daylily bed out front and hit the big underground utility box.

In this you can see the big underground utility box knocked totally off its rocker.

Here's the "last chance" bed today. Tree had to be taken down, but grass is growing back. Many of the daylilies had to be replanted, so they don't look so good. Am hoping that by next summer, they will recover. Some labels are incorrect since the jeep totally ran over the bed. I just stuck the labels wherever I thought those daylilies had been planted. We'll see.

A few more pics - side entrance, heuchera barely visible under leaves:

This is my "outdoor cat." He was a skinny feral cat a year ago, and now is getting downright chunky. He has been named Richard Greyfuss.

Greyfus is a happy boy!

He thinks that all the Nepeta has been planted in the garden strictly for his pleasure. He had jumped on this and attacked it moments earlier

Most garden ornaments have been moved in for the winter, but here is a little copper praying mantis I bought in Baton Rouge at last summer's convention.

About the only color now is pansies ( AKA "deer food")

A couple more garden views:

Mr. Tree looking not too happy after losing all his leaves:

Looking across back spider bed. You can really see the dormants have almost gone down for the count at this time of year.

That's all for now! Thanks for looking.

Comments (15)