SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rarejem

Anyone want to share their hybridizing goals?

rarejem
15 years ago

Although I still have some scapes, highs in the 50's don't promote any worthy blooms, so I have been forced to resign myself to the fact that my DL season is over.

I am not ready to give up my DL focus quite yet however, so I have started planning my crosses for next year's hybridizing.

I know that quite a few people on this forum at least dabble in hybridizing, and I know that there are also quite a few that are very involved with it.

I thought it would be fun to share the goals that everyone has for next year's crosses. I remember one post where someone mentioned their "red eyes and edges" goal. Does anyone have specific goals that they would like to share?

My goals are still not that specific. Because of our milder climate, there are several DL's that will never show their "true" colors in my area. Watermarks and teeth are few and far between. My concentration is to cross plants that DO do well here in terms of opening, vibrant coloring, and consistancy. There are very few growers in this area, and no hybrdizers. I think that people here are missing out on a wonderful garden plant.... there just need to be plants that have been designed to excell in a milder climate to capture the interest.

I would be interested to see what other people are working on and why.

Julie

Comments (4)