SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
denise_gw

What a year for bugs!

Denise
15 years ago

I swear all the rain we've had (and not NEARLY as much as poor Iowa next door!) is driving the bugs inside. This is the first year I've ever had aphids IN my GH. I'm fighting them like mad, the little suckers! I've been inspecting the new growth on all my Hoyas daily to keep them at bay. I've decided I'm going to have to hit everything with BATS in the next watering to combat them. They must have laid eggs on the screens of my GH, because there's really no other way in since there's no door to the outside on my GH...

And it's not just aphids... I've been getting all these mosquito bites and, of course, assumed I was getting them while I spend time on my back deck doing plant "stuff." (Not much watering to do with all the rain, but you know what I mean...) Well, this morning, I found a Jurrasic-sized mosquito dieing on the kitchen counter. OMG, this thing was SO huge (about 2" long!!!!) I'm thinking, "ah, no wonder I've got all these itchy welts all over my body!!" Then, a few minutes later, I found this species of spider I've never seen until this year (and I've been seeing them EVERYwhere outside, little ones in little tightly woven webs across plants, grass, almost anything), found one IN the house, a BIG one, crawling up my wall. When I squished it, it made the most AWFUL mess! I've always been glad I lived where bugs die in winter and never get to be giants like they do in the south, but I'm about ready to move further north if this keeps up!!

Denise in Omaha, still feeling the willies...

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus