SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_63513

What's making these slime trails?

User
12 years ago

Okay, Ken, is that descriptive? :)

I'm uploading several pictures to Flickr, of what I found on my morning walkabout in the garden, to see how the sun strikes each pot, if anything has attacked any plants during the night hours. I always pick off the fallen tree leaves, a sure-fire way to discover slugs etc.

Well, I found something new this morning. Extensive slime trails around the pot glistened like spun silver in the morning sun, and I removed carefully three oak leaves from this small pot in my small hosta allee (walkway or alley).

And there they were. Fat, full, and slimy. Four worms or larva, which I'm thinking could be the hatching sawfly larva?

But I've never seen these things before, so I don't know.

Don't think they are slugs, because they are usually dark brown and different shaped, not really wormy looking. However, I'm told there are many KINDS of slugs, so I ask in puzzlement, WHAT ARE THESE SLIME BALLS?

Now, I have out all sorts of safe slug bait, with the iron stuff in it to keep from killing the dogs and wild birds. I've sprayed down all the pots, leaves top and bottom, soil surface, of hosta and nearby plants, with the Bayer systemic containing Merit.

The hosta in this pot had NO leaf or petiole damage that I saw. Nothing chomped on, nothing falling over. But the green oak leaf had some definite signs of a feast around its margins, and four of the dinner guests were still there having a little dessert.

So what is it I have here? Is it another problem? Or is it perhaps what a sawfly larva looks like? Or a newly hatched slug of some rare southern species?

Do I keep doing MORE damage control? Using same stuff? Or will more frequent application of the 1:10 household ammonia/water get rid of them?

Here are the pictures:

Comments (6)