SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
novaplantguy_z7b_8a

new to hoyas - i love em! sory and a few questions...

Hey Everyone! Im new to the hoya forum, but not to gardening. Ive been a long time poster, maily on the balcony gardening forums back in 01,02, adn 03. I have not posted much since then for varying reasons. I also hung out on the Vines, and Container gardening forums. I was kinda of known as the "vine guy" because all of my Moonflowers and Morning glories grew much faster than Kudzu, and got absoultely HUGE! Im talkin 25' + of those vines comeing out of those big, long rectangular 10" deep green continers you can get for 4 bucks at HD or Lowes.

Anyway...

About 8 months ago I found this very cool looking, but very small plant in like a 4" pot at Giant. ( a local grocery store chain here) I had no idea what it was, but it was just so cool looking I had to buy it. It was only 3.99. It has waxy, pointy, flat, oval shaped leaves. The are verigated white , mostly around the edges of the leaves, but some have bigger splotches. There were even a couple almost all white leaves on this plant. So I brought it home and set it in the window of my old place. it got bright in direct light in summer, but as the trees lost thier leaves it got more direct light of a southern exposure. I moved last december, and now have and east and west exposure. Over the months of dec thru april I had it at work in a southern exposre where it got some sun. To my amazement, it finally started GROWING! It grew a new branch about 6" long!

I brought it home in april, and have had it by the east facing window, but out of the line of most direct sun. It stopped growing before I brought it home. It has not done much since. Since then, I purchased two more Hoyas. One looks almost just like the little one, but has less white verigation, and some of the verigation is not "white", but more cream/ tan. The other has long, very skinny pointy leaves with deep dark red around the edge.

I know one of them is called "ruby red" I think?

None of them are the curly leaved "compacta" I know for sure

Anyway, I generally under water them, and they have all done fine. The two big ones get lots of direct sun from about 7:30 or 8AM until about 11am to maybe around 12PM.

The small one did not get much in the way of direct sun.. maybe a little but nothing like the others.

SO, that brings me to my question. They were all moved outside this week. The small one, I repotted because the soil just looked awful. Its now in nice new miracle grow potting mix. I noticed on the two big ones something odd... The leaves on the side that was facing the window were very deep dark green and vibrant, the ones on the side facing away from the window were pale in comparison. They werent unhealthy looking, just a much lighter shade of green.

They are all in a location in thier hanging baskets where they get full sun from about 8 or 9am until about 12 or so PM. (well, the small one wasnt in a hanging basket, but I made a pot hanger out of jute twine for it!)

The question I have is will this be TOO MUCH sun for them? Will they burn?

I placed a pothos in a spot outside in the garden where it got full direct sun from about 10am until about 330 PM, and it burned. I lost about 15 leaves on it. Is it possible that same thing could happen to my hoyas?

I will post pictures in the next few days so I can get a positive ID on all 3 of them.

Thanks very much for your help! I LOVE this forum, and I love these plants!!!

Comments (12)

Sponsored