SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
peanut01_gw

I see why you all love Hoya

peanut01
14 years ago

Hi I am new to Hoya's but I thought I would share :) I have been walking to my front door the past 2 weeks and I have been catching whiffs of this great smell. Kinda like the big oriental lily 'Casablanca' or like a 'Stargazer'. I have tons of asiatics blooming in the bed, but I didn't think any of those were fragrant. Then last night I was on my front porch around midnight and the frangrance was especially strong. I shrugged it off then went to inspect my H. Lacunsa which I bought a great big hanging basket of for $14.99 at HD. I love the leaves, they are dark green, waxy and have hints of red, black, and purple in different light. I was making sure that it was not getting burnt up. When I was studying the leaves I uncovered 1 bloom and another "pendicule"(idk spelling). The blooms are on this variety are super small and there doesn't seem to be much to them, but they are super fragrant and I am now hooked. I moved it inside to my night stand last night so the fragrance could be enjoyed all night. My wife asked why I slept next to the plant last night lol. HD has another variety for $14.99 but they had several left and this was the last one of this type, so I will be back to save the others.

Now for the questions lol.

How long is the blooming season?

Any reason not to make a mixed pot of Hoyas?

I have H.Lacunosa, H.Lacunosa x H.Obscura, H.Rubra, H.Carnosa Compacta, and H.Carnosa Variegata... What are some other must haves?

Does anyone have a bloom picture or can describe H.Lacunosa x H.Obscura scent?

Do these plants like any direct light? so far I have keep them on my front porch bright indirect light

Thanks for reading and sharing any info.

Comments (17)

Sponsored