SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
quinnfyre

Candidates for outside hoyas?

quinnfyre
12 years ago

I have not been around too much lately. I'll admit it, I've been in a depressive funk. Which led me to neglecting all my plants, which led to me feeling super guilty about that. I finally pulled it together and checked on everything. Rather impressively, the hoyas were mostly ok. Not necessarily happy, but ok. Fitchii and mindorensis looked pretty rough but may pull through. And sp. Tanna Island and buotii apparently never got the memo (thank goodness!) that they would suffer greatly if they went dry for long periods, because they fared really well. I took down the drip irrigation system; in this space it doesn't work for me. It makes it difficult to pull the plants out of the shelves and look at them closely.

So, that all being said, I was wondering, which hoyas do you consider good candidates for growing outside? I would like to clear up some inside space for some breathing room, and get a little help from nature, specifically with rain and sun. I cannot put any moisture lovers out there. It gets hot in my little concrete yard, and I can't deal with watering twice a day. It is also very sunny, so no shade lovers either. Basically I'm looking for hoyas that will enjoy the sun and heat, and tolerate getting dry sometimes. I want to have something nice to look at when I go out into the yard. Nothing super rare either, I'm keeping those inside where I can keep a close eye on 'em.

I'm going ahead and planning on moving to Austin (whether or not I can pull it off is another story) so I'd like to try out some outside hoyas. I think the sun is stronger there, and it is definitely hotter, as it was 90 degrees already when I visited in late March. So it's not totally comparable, but it's an experiment, I guess. Thanks for any suggestions!

Comments (13)

Sponsored