SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greentoe357

what are these leaf tissue depressions?

greentoe357
9 years ago

I gave some cuttings I received recently an alcohol spray, then a shower, then an overnight soap water soak (6.5 tbsp of Dr. Bronner's unscented soap per gal), and then another thorough shower before planting them in the mix. Four days later, I noticed leaf tissue sort of collapse and get depressed / thinned out in many spots, often over the whole leaf surface, on some of those cuttings. The damaged parts of leaves feel very dry and sandpapery in some cases, wilty in others, always very thin and different in color.

Here is how this looks. Hoya aldrichii (the color change from healthy green to sickly bronze/copper color is also visible):

Lacunosa 'Splash':

Macrophylla (the depression / thinning out of the tissue is particularly visible here):

Macrophylla variegated (not only the lead damage visible in the lower part of the pic, but even the petiole thinned out in the middle):

Mindorensis has different damage on a few leaves. The spots are also depressed / thinned-out, but they are brown and less spread-out over the surface of the leaves:

Other species affected are australis 'Mrs G' and macgillivrayi.

I've done undiluted rubbing alcohol sprays and soap baths before, and there were never any damage. But there were some differences this time:

1) the soap soaks were never such long ones, previously an hour or two at most, I think;

2) the soap baths and alcohol sprays were never done consecutively - only one at a time before.

What do you think happened here and what should I do differently as prophylactic/treatment of pests for incoming cuttings? Those damaged leaves are goners, I understand - but what can I do to stop the damage? I think it's happening very fast - just 4 days have passed. The last few days were a bit cold, so half-way through these 4 rooting days I put them on top of a heating pad. It may not be necessary any more now. Humidity has also increased a bit, at 40% now, which I think is about the lowest I'd want it for rooting - otherwise I can enclose them all into a humidity container. Should I cut off all the affected leaves, or let them fall off on their own? Any advice is appreciated!

Comments (12)

Sponsored