SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wirtlo

Micropropagation/Tissue Culture of various plants and Inositol

18 years ago

I recently found some various recipes online for at-home micropropagation. I got all the supplies (well, the agar I used was almond flavor, and hopefully that has no adverse effect on the outcome) and did some micropropgating a few days ago (used a pressure cooker/alcohol/bleach/fire for sterilization).

So what I am wondering about is the role of inositol in micropropagation, because I couldn't find it and didn't use it with the rest of the recipe.

I'm also wondering about the steps of micropropagation, one step to help the plants start to grow and then rooting three months later. Is that necessary?

------

The recipe I used was this: (great, I can't find the site I used now, so I'll have to have a go at it from memory).

-2 tbsp of Almond flavored agar (small town, will use gellright next time)

-1/4 tbsp fertilizer

-20 drops of superthrive (wasn't sure if I should or not)

-2-3tbsp of coconut milk

-2 cups water

-1/2 multivitamin

I think that was it. I haven't invested in a pH meter yet, so I couldn't check that.

Hopefully this works, but if not, it was an experiment.

And the plants I tried this with were: dwarf banana (part of a leaf and the tip of a new root), bromeliad, giant bird of paradise, and I'm going to try a passiflora. All parts I used were of new growth.

Anyway, any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

ERic

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County