SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
quinnfyre

Somewhat OT: Caffeine and sense of smell?

quinnfyre
13 years ago

I find that caffeine affects my sense of smell a fair amount, and it occurred to me to wonder if this happens to anyone else. Does anyone else notice this? For me, it brings out less pleasant notes in fragrances, the 'choke-y' notes, for lack of a better term. The best way I have of describing this is this: have you ever been around someone who wore an abundance of old lady perfume, and you felt your breath catching in the back of your throat every time you tried to breathe normally? That somewhat powdery cloying smell is what gets amplified for me when I smell fragrances after I've had coffee or soda with caffeine in it.

I was wondering if this is one of the reasons people have this love/hate thing with carnosa's scent. Some people think it smells good, others think it stinks. I've never smelled it personally, but if it smells anything like Oncidium 'Twinkle' or 'Sherry Baby', I'm pretty sure I won't care for it; however, I may have smelled it after consuming caffeine. To me it had this odd chemical smell, like poorly done fake vanilla.

Anyway, I was just wondering if it was me, or if other people have noticed this. I am a little oversensitive to caffeine, so it's possible it's just me.

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County