SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
esther_b

Ebay offering of "Stage 4" starter plugs

esther_b
10 years ago

I just ran across an unusual eBay listing for a large variety of "Stage 4 starter plugs". There are some very popular hostas of all sizes offered, from Appletini to Dark Shadows to Guacamole to Itsy Bitsy Spider to Lemon Zest to Mango Salsa to Pineapple Upside Down Cake to Tickle Me Pink. I only mentioned about one of every 5 they are offering.

See listing

Here's the listing:

These starter plants are only for experienced gardeners. The photo shows the approximate size of plants in the growing stage later this year.

These are stage-4 tissue cultured plants shipped as very small liners. This year you can expect 3-4 leaves. These liners are shipped "unpotted" with the growing medium still attached to the roots. These hostas need some extra care, they are not recommended for beginners. These plants need to be planted immediately upon arrival.

These plants need to be "bulked up" before fall so we only offer these starter plants early in the season. Starter liners should never be planted after June. Growing instructions are included with all orders. Here are some of the important points for growing these young tender hosta starters...

� Starters should be grown in containers for several months before being planted into the ground.

� Starters should be kept moist at all times, never sitting in water and never going dry. Check liners several times a day and water as needed.
� Starters should be grown in controlled environment (greenhouse) at a minimum night temperature of 50 degrees.

� Use a well drained, bark based, soilless mix.

� A constant liquid feed of 20-10-20 at 50ppm nitrogen is recommended.

� Maintain a soil PH of 6.0-6.5.
� A systemic fungicide is recommended.

The seller also states:

OUR PROMISE TO YOU:

√ We promise you that your plant(s) will be free from disease, including the incurable "Hosta Virus X". Our plants come from certified disease-free stock. We grow our plants in pots of a sterile soiless mix, allowing us to ship them across the United States. We do not grow our plants in the ground where disease is present.

√ We promise that your plant will be true to type. While we do grow hundreds of different plants we take special care to make sure all plants are labeled correctly.

√ We promise that your order will be packed with caring hands and that your potted plant(s) will arrive to you in good shape, ready to plant into your garden. Each plant is carefully hand-wrapped to successfully endure the shipping process from our nursery to your door.

√ We promise that no one sells plants for less. If you find a lower price we will match it. See the details on our store page "NO ONE SELLS PLANTS FOR LESS".

√ We promise to be here for you "after the sale." Feel free to contact us anytime with any questions you may have. Your success is our success.

√ We promise you will be happy with your order. If we have failed you in any way, please contact us. We want the opportunity to "make it right". We have an excellent history of success, but mistakes can happen.

√ We promise that if you want the best you have come to the right place.

Comments (11)