SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greedygh0st

Sensitive to leaf damage

greedygh0st
10 years ago

I've meant to bring this up for a while now.

There are definitely some Hoyas in my collection that have more sensitive leaves. For example, if I spray my entire collection with something like a low concentration soap solution, there will be 2-3 that will show marks on their leaves. Of course, I've learned to avoid spraying anything on these particular plants.

So, I was wondering which of your Hoyas have "sensitive skin."

Two off the top of my head are vitiensis (both flower colors are the same - they don't like anything I spray on them), and one of the ellipticas that I have. Next time I water, I'll write down the others. I remember while I'm looking at them.

On the opposite side, of course, you have the Hoyas that even the mealies leave alone. I think if I had a fire and my whole collection got wiped out, I'd start a new one with only these tough-leaved species and then ONE flat of yummy thin-leafed species, so the various waves of infestations always occurred in the same location. I mean, you can literally have a "soft" Hoya twined around a "tough" Hoya and the bugs will not spread to the tough one. I guess unless you let the situation go all to hell and they ran out of the good plants. Of course, then I'd probably get root mealiesâ¦

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!