SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
iris600

Hoyas as an heirloom and Intro

iris600
17 years ago

Hi. I wanted to introduce myself. I am Jenn and a grad student in Horticulture. If it weren't for my grandfather, his love of plants, and that first cutting he gave me (of a H. carnosa with silver on the leaves) I would not be in hort.

I grew up in the desert. When I was 10 I got to visit back east, where my grandparents live. I was enthralled with my grandfather's tiny greenhouse and the wonderful plants, most of which I had never seen, ensconsed within. At the time of my visit, his H. carnosa was in full bloom. The plant had sent tendrils about the entire greenhouse, twining around poles on which bark boards with orchids hung, rambling on shelves of succulents and trailing down the wall and over the doorway. Beautiful! All came from one pot. The blooms smelled sweet, and when I touched them my fingers felt wet and sticky. I loved the rough texture of the internodes, the waxy texture of the leaves. It truly appealed to most of my senses. My grandfather told me that he had had that plant since he was young, growing up in florida, and that it had been cut back (to move) many times. He told me he was given the plant by a certain bromeliad collector and horticultural enthusiast, who was pivotal in the hobby back then.

He also told me he would give me a cutting when I left. "What's a cutting?" I asked. "It's a way of growing one plant from another, see these (pointing at some nodules on the internodes), they become roots and it becomes another plant."

When it came time to leave I had packed, very carefully in my travel-on bag, three H. carnosa cuttings. Of them, two rooted (I blamed the dry desert air and the AC). Ever since, I've been hooked.

I still have one of the two original plants I rooted from my grandfather's hoya. He's gone, and unfortunately so is his huge specimen plant, but a piece of him lives on, I like to think, in me and the hoya that has gone with me in my travels.

I now have H. curtsii, H. polyneura, one unidentified H. sp I was given a cutting of a year ago by a friend (have to wait for a bloom!), Hoya carnosa (4 varieties), Hoya lacunosa, Hoya multiflora, and one unidentified dischidia (that a friend from undergrad collected during her travels). I also have several trailing peperomias and many other misc plants (I will admit to a certain fondness for the tougher gesneriads). I assume I will always be one of those people with more plants than free space in their home.

If you are a grandparent, or a parent, or just a mentor or a friend of someone who shows amazement, interest, or love for plants,... share your knowledge. I will never forget how much my life has changed when I was given those first few cuttings, furtively snuck on the airplane in the backpack of a certain ten-year-old girl.

This is my introduction to the community. I look forward to learning from all of you, and perhaps sharing what little I know with those in need of advice.

Thanks!

J

Comments (11)

Sponsored