SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
_julie_

Intro and Q re new compacta

_Julie_
13 years ago

Hi Everybody,

I just joined the group, as I've fallen head over heels in love with hoyas in a very short time. :-) I saw my first compacta ever (that I know of) about six weeks ago, and received my own, via mail order, two weeks ago. The variegated variety. Then, about a week ago I spotted a carnosa "rubra" in Lowes, and couldn't resist. Tomorrow (if the mail is as fast as usual) I'm due to get a kerrii reverse and an obovata. *lol* Yeah, instantly hooked! :-)

My question is about the compacta (EA plant, ordered directly from company, I can see roots through the drainage holes on the bottom of the pot so I think it is well established, though not root bound). When I first got it, it had quite a few very young leaves on it - pulled away from the stem about 4-7 mm. They have all died. It has continued to grow a little bit, but each new baby leaf as it seperates from the stem and just starts to grow, seems to kind of "dry up" (not sure if that is actually what is happening) and die. A total loss of probably 8-10 baby leaves. The vast majority of adult leaves are healthy as can be - 3 or 4 have wilted and died.

I can think of a number of reasons for the losses:

1) Simple change of environment.

2) It did get quite cold enroute to my home.

3) I've tried to practice self control :-) but may have overwatered it a bit already - I soaked it through to dripping out the bottom the day after I got it (it felt dry to me), and then again a week later... I leave the drip tray off of it and it sits on a wire shelf with a towel on the shelf below to catch the drips. I am going to wait longer before the next watering. I am absolutely certain I'm not under-watering.

4) Could possibly be inadequate lighting, although I doubt this one. I have them in a south facing window. Mediocre lighting at best this time of year.

My question is; Can you tell from my description if one "problem" is more likely than another, or some such thing?

And what should I keep an eye out for that should provoke me to something more "drastic"?

Thank you,

Julie

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert