SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bkay2000

Guacamole, Stained Glass or September Sun?

bkay2000
13 years ago

I asked this question last fall and came to the conclusion that Guacamole was the answer and am now debating my choice, as it was rated 5.4 out of 10 in one of the plant trials near here.

I want a hosta for a corner. I'm using So Sweet close to it, so want another look for this spot and I want something showy, preferably with large leaves. I think chartruse and green would really pop for that spot.

Unfortunately, there's no place to see the actual plants, so I have to rely on photos. Stained glass looks perfect is some photos, but really yellow is others. While looking back and forth between the hosta library and the recommended varieties, I came on "September Sun", which I never considered. The myhostas.com database calls it gold and says it's 18-28" tall, so it might be perfect for this corner. It will be behind solid green loriope.

The really yellow ones look sick to me (at least in the photos), so I don't want a really yellow one. Is September Sun really yellow looking? In some photos, it looks bright yellow and others it looks like a soft chartruse. It could be perfect, if it's not that yucky yellow in some photos. It's good up to zone 9a, while Stained glass is shorter and only good up to 8b. Guacamole is rated good only to 8a, which is where I am, but I like the color. (As far "too yellow", I love the color of Sub and Substance.)

While proofing this, it dawned on me that it might be one of those that start out chartruse and turn yellow as the season progresses. Is it one of those?

Any other suggestions? Plantaginea heritage would definitely be a plus. This is my second try at hosta in the ground. The first time (abt. 10 yrs ago) was not successful. "They" say that the beds need to be prepped as if you are planting Azaleas, so I'm going to try that (and drip irrigation).

bkay

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!