SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mdahms1979

Haven't we met before?

mdahms1979
12 years ago

An interesting thing happened recently. I have had a suspicion that two unidentified Hoya species I had in my collection were close relatives. Both plants budded up at the same time and then they both opened their flowers within less than an hour of each other today. Both plants had a very intense spicy scent initially which has slowly become more sweet smelling. The flowers are only different in colour and size. The leaves of both plants are very similar with only superficial differences including the level of both the shininess and amount of flecking, leaf shape is the same.

This is Hoya sp Palawan GPS 9057 which came from Paul Shirley's collection. I have had this plant for several years and although it is quite large this is only the second time it has bloomed for me.

This is Hoya sp Estrella Waterfall IML 1256 from David Liddle's collection. Estrella waterfall is located on the Philippine Island of Palawan. This is the first blooming for this particular plant and I expect to see a higher number of flowers as the plant matures.

A couple of comparison photos.

It is now obvious that these are two collections of the same species instead of two unique species. Hoya sp Estrella Waterfall is the smaller and much greener flower in both photos.

Mike

Comments (17)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH